Major incident: Strut, Prop & Shaft Electrolysis

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

Awesome John! :clap MUCH MUCH MUCH Thanks! Check your PM.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Lance Jones

Well folks, the boat has finally been pulled for repair. A terrible summer with Kitty's Cat stuck at the dock. However, paradise is a great place to have to stay...... They pulled the shaft, coupler and prop today. Oh was it bad. Pics to come.

Shaft and coupler will be brought to a local marine fabricator who has been doing this type work for decades. He says a two day turn-around. The yard estimates a 12 hour (total work) time. So, in between pulling strut and replacing it, rebuilding the area, and allowing time for stuff to set up, maybe a week?

Once done, I'll be a regular contributor again. I just found it too hard to read all that was going on.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Lance Jones

Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Lance Jones

Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance & Guys : Maybe a flexable coupling that electrically isolates the running gear - shaft, strut and prop from the boat/engine ..... is not that bad of an idea!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Well, the yard is not progressing at all. Once the shaft and coupler were pulled, all activity stopped. Turns out their fiberglass guy only works on Friday!! However, I have a brand new shaft and coupler!!!!

In looking at the link provided to the C-36 page, how difficult would it be to do the fiberglass/filler work once the strut is replaced? I have contacted a contractor (Very reputable) who can grind down the area to get to the strut, pull it, replace it, and install the shaft w/alignment with the coupler. However, they don't do fiberglass repair.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

2ndwish

Lance- Have you contacted your insurance company? Seems to me this is all subsequent damage to an accident (the wire popping off when it was moved). If the wire had caused a fire, wouldn't they cover the damage? How is this different? I'm no lawyer though...

Lance Jones

Good idea; but, I never reported it to them and most of the "Evidence" has been removed. ;)
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Lance Jones

Well, she's back in the water! I want to thank y'all so much for all the support in this project.  If it hadn't been for the info on this post, two boat yards would have cut the strut out from the inside. Also, tips on how/where to get parts was a huge help. Those who provided parts to me at little or no cost, I am eternally grateful.  :lol: :appl
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Lance Jones

Here is the original strut. I outlined the original strut size.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622