Depth Transducer location question........

Previous topic - Next topic

stevewitt1

Hello all fellow Sailors.
Well the weather is begging to break here in Wisconsin.  I'm hoping Summer falls on a Sunday this year so I can go sailing......
I'm in the process of installing a new depth transducer on "Forget-Me-Knot"  The old one expired and I was able to find a 200khz replacement for my Datamarine Dart System. My old transducer was installed (by dealer I think) forward and port of the keel under the floor.  There is no direct access above it which may explain why it appears to be epoxied in place with resin so I think I can kiss that spot good-bye.  If I locate it under the forward starboard seat (my knotmeter paddlewheel is there) is there any risk of having the signal bounce up from the "wing keel wing" instead of the bottom???  I know this sounds dumb, but I guess it would be even dumber for me to install the transducer and have it give me a constant 3.5' reading.

I prefer a through hull installation, but could this be a time to try the "bee's wax or silicone inside the hull method first for this season?  I did a search on depth transducers but didn't see anything relating to potential interference from a wing keel.

Any help is appreciated.

Steve

visit us at www.ocontoyachtclub.com and www.warbirdsix.com

Joe Holmes

Mine is installed under the v berth just to the port side of the centerline, as far aft as practical. That should avoid the wing. Mine is a fin keel however. Seems to me the position is just forward of the keel.
Joe Holmes
1988 Mk 1 Tall Rig, Hull 758
Rothesay NB Canada

lazybone

My knotmeter and depth sounder like yours is mounted in the forward  starboard settee.  I have never had a problem.
It was installed that way by the dealer when new.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

stevewitt1

lazybone

Quote from: stevewitt1 on May 12, 2014, 07:01:24 PM
lazybone

yours is a wing keel also?
Steve

Oh, sorry, I forgot to say.

Yes, it is a wing keel.

And the depth meter is mounted closer to the keel than the log.

That area of the hull is actually forward of the vertical portion of the keel and the wing.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Stu Jackson

Quote from: JoeHolmes on May 12, 2014, 05:22:07 PM
Mine is installed under the v berth just to the port side of the centerline, as far aft as practical. That should avoid the wing. Mine is a fin keel however. Seems to me the position is just forward of the keel.

Ours, too, is just like that.  Can't figure out whay anything further aft would make more sense.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

kwaltersmi

Ditto Lazybone's location. Ours is also in the forward settee with the knot meter wheel. We also have a wing keel and seem to get accurate depth readings with no issues.  However, if it were under the v-berth, the storage under the forward settee would be more open without the transducer/wiring.
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

lazybone

Quote from: kwaltersmi on May 13, 2014, 06:19:50 AM
Ditto Lazybone's location. Ours is also in the forward settee with the knot meter wheel. We also have a wing keel and seem to get accurate depth readings with no issues.  However, if it were under the v-berth, the storage under the forward settee would be more open without the transducer/wiring.

I installed a removable plywd floor over the senders in the settee to preserve storage and wires are run in a PVC conduit.

Also wanted to mention that the settee location is very easy to access when the log needs cleaning or when it comes time to remove it prior to haulout.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677