forward hatch screen

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Harvey

My 1986 model has a factory designed forward hatch that has an oddly shaped hatch. It is curved , not flat on 2 sides
We tried using velcro with screen material but after a while the velcro becomes unglued from the gelcoat
We have an external screen that works but can be inconvenient when you have to crawl out in the middle of the night to remove and have to deal with bugs and rain etc
Has anyone come up with a design of internal screen/ frame that will fit this hatch?

Andrew Harvey

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

patrice

HI,

Right now I still have no screen on the hatch, and need to had one for this summer.
In my previous C25, the PO had put the velcro inside around the hatch ( the soft one ;-)  )using cement glue. 
And on the screen, he stitched the velcro around.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Ken Juul

I do not have a screen for the Vee berth hatch.  If I was going to make one I would sew a ~1" diameter tube the length of the four sides.  Fill it with sand, then sew it onto the bottom edges of the screen material.  let gravity rather than glue do the work.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Paulus

I have one that is based on Ken's idea, but without sand.  There are 4 canvas snaps on each corner, very tight.  The tube only has air in it.  Made by a local canvas company.  Works great and the mosquitos in the north country have not found a way around it.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

lazybone

Quote from: Paulus on May 12, 2014, 04:24:07 PM
I have one that is based on Ken's idea, but without sand.  There are 4 canvas snaps on each corner, very tight.  The tube only has air in it.  Made by a local canvas company.  Works great and the mosquitos in the north country have not found a way around it.
Paul

Ha, 

Chesapeake bay mosquitoes can pick locks.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

waterdog

I have four snaps on the headliner at the corner locations.   I have fine bug mesh framed out with larger tubes of Phifertex (heavier mesh) which have female snaps.   Perfect bug seal and I can also snap in my Windscoop and have bug-free air flow. 
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

patrice

Quote from: Ken Juul on May 12, 2014, 02:47:21 PM
I do not have a screen for the Vee berth hatch.  If I was going to make one I would sew a ~1" diameter tube the length of the four sides.  Fill it with sand, then sew it onto the bottom edges of the screen material.  let gravity rather than glue do the work.

Hi,
Yes this is the principe that is used with the mosquitos bag that fit over the hatch, outside.
Mine was installed inside.  It just that I prefer the inside mounting, the screen is always in place, no need to store somewhere.
And if very windy, it won't go anywere.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I have some friends that have used chain sewn into the seam around the edges to weight down the screen. Worked pretty well.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Andrew Harvey

OK, if I understand correctly, you fabricate a mesh screen that is about 24"x 25" or so.
You use some type of weighted material around the edge and rest it in the sill around the outside edge of the hatch.
You can then close the hatch from the inside with the screen in place by opening just enough to tighten the dogs down .

Andrew Harvey

patrice

Quote from: Andrew Harvey on May 14, 2014, 06:54:25 AM
OK, if I understand correctly, you fabricate a mesh screen that is about 24"x 25" or so.
You use some type of weighted material around the edge and rest it in the sill around the outside edge of the hatch.
You can then close the hatch from the inside with the screen in place by opening just enough to tighten the dogs down .

Hi Andrew,
If you want to go with the weight, it has to be like a big bag over the open hatch.  It has to fit over when the hatch is fully open.
See this.
http://www.westmarine.com/west-marine--bugbusters-hatch-companionway-screens--P024_720_003_501

The set-up I talk about, is that the velcro is glued on the ceiling around the opening of the hatch, and the screen just fit the velcro dimension and is flat.
Sorry but I dont have a picture.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Andrew Harvey

Hi Patrice,
We have used every type of glue , crazy glue, contact cement, plastic glue, velcro glue etc etc.
Eventually the velcro peels off the gelcoat
What did you use ?
Andrew Harvey

patrice

Quote from: Andrew Harvey on May 15, 2014, 06:53:47 AM
Hi Patrice,
We have used every type of glue , crazy glue, contact cement, plastic glue, velcro glue etc etc.
Eventually the velcro peels off the gelcoat
What did you use ?

Hi,
Sorry can't really answer this one, cause the PO had installed it.
But it did look like contact cement.  Since you have tried and did not work, I'm   :donno:

Did you sand a bit the surface where you applied the glue to make it rough ?
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Solstice

Quote from: patrice on May 14, 2014, 08:13:52 AM
Quote from: Andrew Harvey on May 14, 2014, 06:54:25 AM

Hi Andrew,
If you want to go with the weight, it has to be like a big bag over the open hatch.  It has to fit over when the hatch is fully open.
See this.
http://www.westmarine.com/west-marine--bugbusters-hatch-companionway-screens--P024_720_003_501

The set-up I talk about, is that the velcro is glued on the ceiling around the opening of the hatch, and the screen just fit the velcro dimension and is flat.
Sorry but I dont have a picture.

If anyone is interested in a 'bugbuster', I have one that I know longer use as my boat came with factory installed screens. Please contact me offline if interested...