Wax versus 303 protectant on hull

Previous topic - Next topic

chuck53

Quote from: MarkT on May 23, 2014, 06:24:48 AM
My feeling is that the paste wax is the best product BUT I don't have the time or the money to employ someone with the time to do the job that way. Using liquid wax gets the job done which is most important. Waxing the boat is like wearing a sun hat. My brother says " your sun hat in not a fashion accessory" the same with wax even if the shine isn't perfect getting wax on there is the most important factor. If I ever get to live less than a two hour drive from the boat maybe then I'll change my perspective and work on the perfect shine and varnished teak.  

Mark

It's not that the paste will give you a better shine than the liquid...it just lasts longer on the hull meaning you don't have to wax as often or if you are like most of us and only wax during yearly or every other year haul out, the paste wax will protect the hull longer than the liquid.

Clay Greene

The wax should not really be the source of the shine.  You get that from the compounding and the polishing prior to the application of the wax.  The wax is there as a protectant.  I've used Collinite paste wax and the liquid wax and the paste is not much more work but produces a better result. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

mainesail

Guys,

When applied and removed CORRECTLY there is ZERO time difference between a paste wax and a bottle. This paste vs. liquid speed thing marketing hype 101.. The paste wax will last longer though so you actually spend MORE TIME with liquids than you do with a paste... Collinite. 885 paste is one of the easiest to apply and remove waxes out there, WHEN DONE CORRECTLY... Sadly the vast majority do not apply and remove it the right way thus they incorrectly feel it is "harder" to work with.....

When you hold the hammer 1" from the head it really sucks at pounding nails but it does not make the hammer harder to use just the operator is using it incorrectly..
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/