Battery Charger - Inteli-Power PD2120

Previous topic - Next topic

jkar

First, I searched and read the exhaustive thread on the Xantrex.  This is not about that.  My question is userfeedback based.  Thanks.

I am replacing the 20+ year old "Promariner".  In researching, I came across the PD2120 Inteli-Power by Progressive Dynamics.  It looks like it will fit the bill.  Has anyone seen one in person?  Using one currently?  This is what I am looking for:

1, Three (this has 4, one called storage) stage full automatic, I don't want my new batteries cooked.  I did get 7 years out of the previous ones, but I think I killed them last summer.
2, reliable
3, not junk, see 2

For me I think it is almost a done deal, but will take comments.  I really like that is is made in the USA, in MI in fact.  If I have an issue, I will drive it over and wait until it is fixed :-)

The 20amp might seem small, but I am always near shore power when there is extended depletion and will mainly use it to charge 2 T105's in series.

The "storage" mode has me intrigued as well as the variable fan.  So, does anyone have one?  Thanks, Joel

Stu Jackson

Joel,

I've never heard of this charger.  I found a link to it on the web.  http://www.progressivedyn.com/prod_details/marine_conv/marine_conv_pd2120_1.html

The instruction manual states:

Page:10
NORMAL MODE:
In the normal mode the output voltage is set at 13.9 volts DC. This voltage provides good charging rates and low water usage.
BOOST MODE:
If the INTELI-POWER MARINE converter/charger senses the battery voltage has dropped below a preset level, the system automatically switches into the Boost Mode. In this mode the charge voltage is increased to 14.4 volts for a period of approximately 4 hours.
TRICKLE MODE:
When the INTELI-POWER MARINE converter/charger senses that there has been no significant battery usage for a period of approximately 30 hours the charge voltage is automatically reduced to 13.2 volts DC for minimal water usage until the unit senses usage of the electrical system.
STORAGE/EQUALIZATION MODE:
When the charger is in the Storage Mode, the microprocessor automatically equalizes the battery by increasing the charging voltage to 14.4 volts for 15 minutes every 21 hours. This causes the battery to gas for a short time and re-mixes the electrolyte...

While it appears on the surface that this charger has the necessary four charging functions, they call them by different names than is normal in our experience.  Bulk, absorption and float plus equalize.

The bulk boost mode is 14.4 V for four hours.  Most quality marine chargers charging algorithms raise the voltage to a preset level and switch from bulk to absorption in much less than 4 hours.  This charger can easily overcharge your batteries.  It takes 30 hours to go into float, which could also overcharge your batteries.

Chargers, inherently, are not "smart," but compared to many modern marine chargers, this one is kinda dumb.

In order to avoid retyping a complete description of how battery chargers should work, which is covered in almost all quality marine charger and regulator manuals, I offer this, right from the "Electrical 101" topic on our forum:

Maine Sail has contributed a very good charger suggestion and description of charging regimens, here:  

Wiring a new charger From Maine Sail:  http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=136765

ITWMB, I wouldn't buy it.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

kwaltersmi

Also based on Mainesail's recommendations, I just installed a Sterling ProCharge Ultra.  In fact, I finished the installation last night and turned on the power for the first time.  I'm definitely not an electrical guru, but the Sterling chargers are programmable, quiet and affordable.  So far I'm happy, but I'll let you know the real verdict after I've used it for a longer period.
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

KWKloeber

A C30 brethren has a Sterling ProCharge Ultra for sale ---

Before I put it on Ebay,  Two years old, works fine, I just upgraded to a 40A model to support a larger battery bank.

http://www.sterling-power-usa.com/sterlingpowerprochargeultra12volt20ampbatterycharger-pfc.aspx

$120 plus freight.
Includes manual, original packing for my 40A unit, battery temperature sensor, six foot 8ga negative and positive leads to batteries with a Maxi fuse holder. Serial number: G201403329

If anyone's interested, PM me and I'll get him hooked up with you.

-ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Craig Illman

Ken - I'd already posted it here under the C34 Parts & Pieces For Sale or Wanted area.

Anyway, I sold it yesterday, but thanks for the added assistance.

Craig

Indian Falls

I have a Samlex 30a 3 stage 2 bank charger.  Quiet, easy, affordable, made in USA, about the size of a phone book, could not be happier.  I mounted it in the space next to the nav station behind the seat back cushion.  Not the best for ventilation but since the Samlex has a built in cooling fan (that has never run to my knowledge) I have no worries after 5 years.  It makes no detectable heat.  It would be one thing if you pulled the seat back cushion off and a wave of heat hit you in the face, but that simply is not the case.  If you knew you ran both your batts down and then plugged in the shore power cord you would expect some heat... and be smart enough to pull the cushion off and monitor the situation.  I have yet to run my batts all the way down.
This charger brought my 2 house batteries back from the dead for another 2 seasons use.  Prior to adding the charger, I only had the alternator and an ordinary car battery charger (which I never left on by the way).
take a look at http://samlexamerica.com/products/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=171
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

mainesail

Once again I will stress the importance of buying a QUALITY battery charger that is actually HEALTHY for your batteries and that MATCHES your batteries charging voltage requirements for float, absorption and EQ if applicable. Unless your batteries are always at 77F - 80F then the charger MUST be temp compensated.

A charger with only dip switches for adjustment, no on battery temp sensor, no re-absorb feature, no EQ feature is simply NOT "smart" nor is it a quality battery charger. 

There is a LOT of crap out there, buyer beware.....

I know I have likely beat this horse to death, I have posted this on the C-34 site before, but the battery type is pretty irrelevant when buying a charger. What is very, very relevant is the battery manufacturers recommended absorption and float voltage.

We really need to stop looking at the words on a chargers pre-set list and instead look at the VOLTAGES behind the words. AGM, GEL, Flooded, FDC etc. are words and they mean absolutely nothing without knowing the VOLTAGES behind those words.

One manufactures voltage for AGM will NOT always be the same as the next thus you should only focus on the VOLTAGES the words represent.. For some AGM batteries you will be much better served using the FDC setting than the AGM setting & vice verse, but a charger with a custom setting will better be able to match the manufacturers recommended absorption & float voltages for your batteries.

For example Trojan's are best charged at 14.8V absorption for a PSOC type of deep cycle use. Neither the Progressive Dynamics charger nor the Samlex are suitable chargers for Trojan batteries (and many others) if you want healthy charging.

VOLTAGE, VOLTAGE, VOLTAGE is the key not the words.

Here is a prime example of IGNORE THE WORDS and focus on the VOLTAGES

Here are some manufacturer suggested charging voltages:

AGM's - Which "AGM" Preset works?:
Lifeline AGM's = 14.4V & 13.4V = AGM Preset #1
Odyssey TPPL AGM's = 14.7V & 13.6V = Neither AGM Preset
Firefly AGM =14.4V & 13.2V = Neither AGM Preset
Mastervolt AGM = 14.4V & 13.2V = Neither AGM Preset
Full River AGM = 14.7V & 13.7V = Neither AGM Preset
Rolls AGM = 14.7V & 13.7V = Neither AGM Preset
East Penn/Deka = 14.6V & 13.6V = Neither AGM Preset
US Battery AGM = 14.4V & 13.4V = AGM Preset #1
Trojan AGM = 14.4V & 13.5V = Neither AGM Preset

This is why we should always buy chargers that have a custom setting. Even with 11 preset choices, compared to two or three on sub-par chargers, the 11 choices still only rarely optimally match up. Please do not focus not on the words but rather on the voltages.

How about Trojan Flooded batteries? Which Flooded preset works for Trojan flooded batteries??

Trojan Flooded = 14.8V & 13.5V = Neither are ideal. So you use custom and set it at 14.8V and 13.5V

How about Deka / East Penn Flooded

Deka Flooded = 14.7V & 13.8V = Neither are ideal. So you use custom and set it at 14.7V and 13.8V

Not all "smart" battery chargers are the same..

-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/