Mainsheet Clam Cleat

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

I'm replacing my mainsheet clam cleat .  Reading previous posts, it looks like a rope clutch is the way to go.  Should I buy a double for the mainsheet and halyard (the halyard clutch works but is a bit beat up) or two singles and have the mainsheet one set aft of the halyard?  Was looking a the Spinlock XAS clutch.

Matt

Stu Jackson

mr, our clutch for the mainsheet went in the same place as the old clam cleat, I used one of the two holes for it, and then drilled through with fender washers and an acorn nut below.  My experience is ganged or double clutches could be a pain to operate individually.  The only ganged clutches I have are for the double line reefing lines on the port side, so they don't get a lot of "action" and work well together, while the halyard and mainsheet work great separately.  If you're going to replace the halyard clutch, then if you can use at least one of the holes you're ahead of the game.  Good luck, you'll love the improvement it makes as a fairlead to the winch.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mark Sutherland

I used the double Spinlock rope clutch and got rid of the clam cleat.  Works like a dream, and I feel MUCH safer being on deck when reefing.  The clam clutch used to scare me being on deck, especially in heavy weather, because all it takes is a the slightest (accidental) lift of the main sheet and it used to come right out of the clam cleat.  Pretty scary when I was on the leeward side of the boom tying the reef lines.  You'll love the spinlock clutches and they look really nice too.  I replace my clutches on the opposite side of the cabin top as well since they were super old and not functioning 100% smoothly.
Dunrobin II, 1986 C34 MK1 #170

Stu Jackson

Just so we're clear here, and for new skippers reading this:

The CONCEPT is to replace the clam cleat, which Mark clearly explained as a dangerous thing, with a sheetstopper or clutch.  The clutch provides a superb fairlead to the winch.

When sailing, the mainsheet clutch is ALWAYS COMPLETELY OPEN and the mainsheet is wound around the self tailing cabintop winch.

That sheetstopper/clutch ONLY gets closed after the sailing day is over.  I usually winch the mainsheet in tight as I am coming into the wind to drop the main.  This keeps the boom from swinging around, and makes flaking the mainsail a safer procedure.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Noah

I just cleaned house on my coach roof last month. I removed all old and installed Garhauer triple clutches both port and Starboard using existing mounting pad locations. Filled old holes, tapped new and bedded with butyl tape. I also replaced old double fair leads under traveller with triples. Starboard clutch now holds main halyard, main sheet and boom vang. Port clutch holds two jib halyards (one as a spare) and my spinnaker halyard. All lead nicely to winches. I also lead my new Garhauer 5-1 traveler aft through a grommet in dodger canvas, then through a small stand up sheave block mounted aft of dodger, then to Spinnlock XP swivel cam cleats mounted on edge of cabin top. All works well. I will upload some pics this weekend. Double line reefing to stay on boom and mast for now. A trip forward now and then, with wind and spray in the face is good for the soul!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Noahr on April 29, 2014, 05:16:32 PM
Double line reefing to stay on boom and mast for now. A trip forward now and then, with wind and spray in the face is good for the soul!

Nice work in the first part that I didn't quote.

You all know that I'm the "Your boat, Your choice" guy, but I really think this is shortsighted.

For example, if you have roller furling, there is little need to have your jib halyards led back and you can tighten the jib luff with a small strong line at the tack of the jib to the furler drum shackle.

With all those clutches, I would prioritize the double line reefing from the cockpit.

I've previously described and photo'ed my arrangement, which includes cam cleats outboard behind the dodger for the lazy jacks, cunningham and rigid boom vang lines to free up space for the double line reefing clutches.  I'll find a link, having some computer issues today.  sigh... :sleepy:

Oh, well, "your boat, your choice."   :D

Noah

Good point Stu on the roller furled headsail halyard. Probably could free-up one clutch position on port side. I would still keep spare jib halyard in clutch position #2 for "whatever"... perhaps a storm jib, a funky staysail, or ?? Spinnaker halyard will stay in #3 position for now.  I haven't sailed my "new" boat enough yet to thoroughly think this one through. But I will. Maybe the lure of shiny new Garhauer stainless temporarily blinded me? 8)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Mark Sutherland

Hey Stu, could you elaborate on why you would not lock down your main sheet clutch while you are on deck reefing down the main?  Thanks. :D
Dunrobin II, 1986 C34 MK1 #170

Stu Jackson

Mark, simply because it's already in the winch, and tightened.  Sure, I could lock it then, but ususally when getting ready to drop the main I'm working on the sheet anyway.  I just lock it after everything is done.

Analgesic

One more consideration-my rigger years ago suggested and installed a line stopper on the mast just below where the jib halyard emerges.  I run the halyard through the stopper, back to the port cabin top winch one time on launch day, tighten the jib halyard sufficiently, lock it and then coil it on the mast out of the way for the season.   One less long line in the cockpit area to deal with. 
Brian McPhillips  1988 #584  M25XP

Hawk

That's what I have also done with my jib halyard.....coiled at the mast and out of the way.

Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

patrice

:clap
Same here, exept that I have a cleat on the mast not a line stopper.
The line don't have to go to cockpit.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Stu Jackson

Quote from: patrice on May 13, 2014, 10:54:40 AM
:clap
Same here, exept that I have a cleat on the mast not a line stopper.
The line don't have to go to cockpit.

Ahh, finally, a convert to reality.   :clap