Glow plug upgrade

Previous topic - Next topic

Set2sea

I am surveying the glow plug upgrade job. For the connection to the starter -
The starter is difficult to see connections. What I see is a Red jumper from alternator to started and two other red cable studs. I am assuming that the correct one to connect to is where the jumper attaches? Where this stud is hard to get to and the stud nut is already at to top of stud, Wouldn't it be the same if I connect wire from solenoid to the alternator positive (where jumper is)?
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

Ron Hill

Paul :  Look in WiKi and you'll find a number of articles on that glowplug upgrade.

What you are doing is taking a #6 or 8 wire and going from the +stud on the starter solenoid to the #3 glow plug.  You then put a solenoid in that line so when that solenoid is "opened/controled" with the existing glowplug wire from the key switch/glowplug switch on the engine instrument panel.

That stud on the starter solenoid is easy to see from the access door in the head. 

Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Yes, electrically it would be the same, but...

1.  The last thing you want to do is load any stud on a rotating and vibrating alternator

2.  When you get around to the project where you correct your alternator output (AO) wiring and finally run it to the house bank, you own't have to change anything related to the AO, the glow plug solenoid wiring remains intact.

I went back and looked at my sketch in that wiki (http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Faster%2C_More_Efficient_Glow_Plug_Heating_with_a_Solenoid) and simply don't recall whether it was a lug or a quick connect, I should have noted that, sorry.  Either way, it's relatively simple.  I also don't recall if I dropped the alternator to do the wiring to get better access.  Heck, it was sometime ago.  If you drop the alternator, turn the power off.

Good luck, good idea to do this.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Set2sea

Ron and Stu, thank you. I will try to get 'er on the starter post.
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma