Forward Exterior Grab Rails Attachment

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

Mike, I ordered those from Defender.  The foot print matched.  Looked into stainless but did not want the dark areas showing.  If you should order be sure to ask for handrails without knots.  Had to return one.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Mike McDonald

Hi Les,
Thanks for the suggestion for stainless grab rails.  Do you know where they ordered them from, and if they are a standard size to fit the C-34 MK-I boats?  Thanks.
Mike...
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

stevewitt1

I'm just about to put my annual coats of Sikkens on my handrails.  My PO did a great job keeping them up and I plan on continuing it, but good old Mr. Sun is a real badXss.  I just ordered some Sunbrella and binding so I will make sun covers for the handrails.  Keep the sun off them and they sure seem to keep looking like new.

Steve

visit us at www.ocontoyachtclub.com  and www.warbirdsix.com

Les Luzar

Mike,
It is a local stainless steel company here in Southern California. He made the rails for four C-34's (Mk I's). I wrote it down somewhere, I will look it up and get back to you.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Les Luzar

Stev
I have varnish on all of my teak on my boat, except the deck handrails. Those I have sunbrella covers on all the time. I never remove the sunbrella covers except once a year to lightly sand the hand rails to keep the teak nice looking. I tried varnishing them once and it was too time consuming and frustrating of a job with all the angles of those large hand rails. And even with my sunbrella covers, the varnish took a beating, so I sanded it all off and left it that way.... no teak oil, to Semco, no varnish, no Cetol.... So with the sunbrella covers the boat looks great (in my eyes) and I would rather spend more time sailing and less time varnishing.  This works for me!
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Mike McDonald on May 06, 2014, 08:13:12 AM
Hi Les,
Thanks for the suggestion for stainless grab rails.  Do you know where they ordered them from, and if they are a standard size to fit the C-34 MK-I boats?  Thanks.
Mike...

Mike, in addition to what Les may provide for you, those hole patterns are pretty standard.  The ss ones simply replicate the spacing on the older wooden type which have been around for ages.  Unless someone has found ss that don't fit... :cry4`
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Paulus

I believe that the wooden ones have a larger foot print?
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Stu Jackson

Yes, of course.  Point is that the holes are in the same place.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Paulus

That is true but my boat has faded and the darker area would be obvious.  Unless there is a way to get the foot print to fade??
Cool Change 1989 #944

Stu Jackson

FSR has proven to be a very good fiberglass cleaner, prior to using more aggressive tactics.

While there may be a dark spot, once exposed to the sun, you may be surprised at how quickly it will lighten up.

Les Luzar

Mike,
The stainless steel handrails were made by N & J Fabrications, located at the Marina Shipyard, in Long Beach CA. The contact there is a guy named Nacho. The telephone number is 562-596-9418. The price of each handrail was $320 each. If you are interested you can give them a call and investigate further.

Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

mregan

I found with some Sunbrella covers on the handrails, the Cetol will hold up pretty well.  On my C-30 they were still going strong after 4 years with no touch-up.  Rails were only uncovered when on the boat.
Just made new covers for my C-34 rails.

Mike McDonald

Les,
Thanks for the contact info. I've been out of touch for a week or so. I really appreciate all of the support on this forum!
Mike...
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario