Rudder stock leak

Previous topic - Next topic

garyw

Hi

I noticed water dripping from the rudder post into the aft lazarette.  Do I need to take the whole thing apart
And apply silicone ?  Or is there a better way . This is only when it rains .

Thanks

Gary W
Catalina 34
Summer breeze

2ndwish

I think you are saying the water is getting in between the rudder post cap and the bearing (part of the deck really). If so, we have the same issue and never bothered to deal with it since we get so little rain. There should be one or two plastic washers between the cap and the hull. I think the recommended cure is to secure the lower washer to the deck with sealant. I'd be tempted to use butyl tape for this, but it might require adhesive properties as well. The seal is needed on the outer rim of the washer only. The water will then drain into the cockpit instead of the lazarette. 

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

ghebbns

I am with Stu on this one.  When does the water come in?  If it is mainly when you are under power, it most likely is the packing gland.  The stern of the boat tends to be lower than the water line under power.

I had to replace in my C30 and am assuming it is the same on the 34.  Not a big job at all.  I did it while the boat was in the water.

Greg
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

Ron Hill

Guys : The rudder packing gland is above the water line when the boat is setting static in the water.  The only time it is under water is when the boat is moving especially with the engine ON.

If it only drips when it's raining, I'd look at the emergency tiller cap as mentioned by 2nd wish.

If you have never had that tiller cap off look in WiKi.  Because I'll guess that the aluminum cap is corroded to the stainless rudder column.  You might just have to cut it off and order a new one from the factory. 
When you mount the new one be sure to use some grease between those two dis-similar metals.

a thought

Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Next time my hull cleaner diver comes I am going to change my rudder cap (while in the water) for the shiny new stainless steel one I bought from Catalina Direct. I am going to have the diver put a line/bridle under the rudder tied off to my two stern cleats so my rudder doesn't drop--not only screwing up my quadrant but my expensive new below deck Simrad hydraulic ram autopilot's tiller arm. I will use my Dremel tool to split/cut off the old cap, pull the retaining bolt, replace it with new cap and away I go. That's the plan anyway. Been soaking up all the C34 Forum posts and successfully following the many well-placed breadcrumbs on the upgrade trail. I will let you all know how it goes in a couple of weeks.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Noa : I found that the rudder will stay in place (and not drop down) with the tiller cap off - just as long as you don't turn the wheel till the tiller cap is back ON!!

I've written that up a number of times!

A thought  
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Thanks, Ron. Not that I'm a non-believer, I am just opting for a little extra piece of mind by running the rope bridle under the rudder, just in case. After fighting with installing the hydraulic linear autopilot, rewiring the binnacle, changing the cockpit drains, bilge pump, propane box, wiring harness and engine instrument panel, I am not too interested in spending any more time on my stomach in the aft cabin working around the rudder post or in the laserette...again, anytime soon. So I'm using the "belt AND suspenders" approach on rudder cap change..
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

garyw

Thanks to all the helpful responses.   As a new boat owner , I am trying to track down leaks and so I noticed that when it rains there is water coming into the aft lazarette through one of the bolts that seems to attack to the rudder stock.  I 'll take a picture the next time this happens.   

Gary W
Summer Breeze
Boston ,Ma

Stu Jackson

It's a good idea to have belt & suspenders when messing with the rudder.  Dropping it is NOT an option right?   :shock:

While rainwater can get there, it could also be coming from the lazarette hatch.  Early recommendations from 1987 suggested getting sponge or even better rubber door seal material from Ace Hardware and sealing that hatch, the helmsman seat.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

2ndwish

On our '87, the quadrant prevents the rudder from falling out. It will drop a couple of inches though, so we jam something under the quadrant just to take the load off the steering cable when messing with the cap.