Dropping an Asymmetrical Spinnaker

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Sutherland

I've recently begun flying my Asym.  I'm using a sock and the "Tacker" device at the forestay, which is working nicely.  I'm not totally happy with the effectiveness of my procedure for dropping the Asym.  Here's what I'm doing and the issues I'm encountering.  The Tacker site demo video suggests over-sheeting the Asym sheet, then blowing/releasing the tack from the tacker device at the forestay, then hauling down the sock.  My goal is to bring the sock and sail down on the bow, adjacent to the forward cabin hatch.  The problem I'm encountering is that when I release the tack, the entire sail and sock ends up aft of the spreader and the sock gets bound up against the aft side of the spreader as I'm trying to bring the sock down from my bow position.  The sock ring/collar actually gets stuck when it gets down to the spreader, after which it only comes free after a lot of fuss.  I tried having the cockpit crew ease the sheet/clew as I bring the sock down, just BEFORE I release the tack, hoping that I could get the leach forward of the spreader/shrouds, but easing the sheet just allows the Asym to fill and power back up which makes lowering the sock very difficult.  My next idea is to over-sheet, release the tack, and almost simultaneously quickly ease the sheet 10-15 feet, allowing the leach and clew to move forward of the spreader and shrouds.  My planned point of sail during the take-down would be about 120-130 degrees.  If any of you have any advice, I'd sure appreciate it.  Thanks much.
Dunrobin II, 1986 C34 MK1 #170

Roc

I was told by my sailmaker to let the sheet fly (don't blow the tack) and haul the sock down.  That keeps the Asym connected at the bow with the tack.  Try that and tell us what you think.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Steve_in_lex

I definitely agree with Roc and his sailmaker: keep the tack attached, ease the sheet and haul the sock down.  Don't literally let go of the sheet because it'll fly all over the place.  If there's any breeze, you'll want to head up a bit so the chute luffs before pulling down the sock.
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

DarthOccam

My experience as been the same as what Roc describes. It doesn't take long to pull the sock down with the sheet loose.  Then drop the halyard and unclip the tack last.

Michael
Michael DeCamp
Serenity, #1703
Channel Islands Harbor, CA

scotty

Good advice.  Tack is last to be taken off.  However, if in the heavier breeze you head up, the spinnaker will drive more.  Last time I headed up to drop, because I wanted to make windward gains, the boat was broaching and pulling like a horse.  It was fun, but made it much more exciting.  In my experience, it is easier to drop heading dead down-wind.  Have others found this to be the case?  Thanks.
Scotty

tonywright

For calm cruising with the Asym, I usually sail without the main. Head almost downwind, ease the sheet slightly and then bring the sock down. Then ease and lower the the halyard to bring the spinnaker down, keeping the sail and sheet on board, and only once the sail is on the deck remove the tack.  If you sail with the main up, the technique is always to blanket the Asym with the main.

I have a bag clipped at each end to the lifelines on port and starboard, and tuck sock and sail away away as it comes down. With the autopilot steering the boat in a straight line, I can do this single handed - the spinnaker halyard is at the mast, so I can control it with one hand while guiding the sail to the deck with the other  Mind you, I learned from experience (past boats)  to ask for a modestly sized Asym from the sailmaker - this really helps to keep things under control!

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Indian Falls

I always head down wind with the main shadowing the snuff.  The tack is last and a crew controls the sheet going out and the halyard coming down. 
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Clay Greene

We sail pretty far downwind (never dead downwind to avoid an accidental gybe) so that the main blankets the asym, ease the tension on the working sheet (not letting go but letting the clew move forward), and then bring the sock down.  I would never let the tack go - that is making your life much more difficult. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin