Hatch adjuster

Previous topic - Next topic

Lennysails

On my new to me 1989 Cat 34 I am missing the adjuster bracket. It doesn't seem like there ever was one because there are no marks or holes. What am I missing. I want to stop using a deck of cards to prop it open.

Stu Jackson

Can you be more specific?  Which hatch?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

ghebbns

You probably have the same system as Sabbatica's (a 1990 mk 1.5).  I believe it is a Lewmar hatch that has a friction joint in the back that is supposed to hold the hatch at different levels.  Mine has worn (which appears to be a common problem) so that it will not stay open.  One of my spring projects is to install a hatch adjuster (although not sure how I am going to do it yet).  I think you can get a replacement from Lewmar, try looking at their website.

Greg
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

stevewitt1

Lenny
I have the same on my 89 Hull 854.  What I can attest to is that I've made the mistake of using the friction positions a couple of times (note couple, I'm a slow learner)  After the hatch slamming shut from the slightest of boat movement allowing the unexpected loud sound to jolt me to the point I believe I dislodged any plaque buildup in my arteries, I've learned not to trust them.

I'm interested in any hatch adjuster retrofit anyone is doing if pics could be shared.

Until then, with good weather, I open fully and use one of those muti-talented bungee cords to hold it open.

Steve

visit us at www.ocontoyachtclub.com  &  www.warbirdsix. com

Ron Hill

Lenny : If you are talking about the Vberth hatch? -  there was never an adjuster!  It is a Lewmar "Rollstop" hatch.  You can purchase a hinge repair kit from Lewmar or Select plastics (203-866-3767)!

The key to keep that hatch so it stays in the 1. straight out, 2. 45degree and 3. straight up positions, is to never let the hatch in ANY other position (besides closed).  If you do you'll weaken the piece that moves into those 4 notched positions!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

In a similar vein but, different year. Kitty's Cat has an adjustable support. It now no longer supports the v-bert hatch when the knob is fully tightened. Any ideas other than the dog bone we use now?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : It looks like you may have an early 1988 that still has a Vberth Bomar hatch that they were installing in the 1987s.

Call Bomar 9603)826-5791 and see if they have a replacement part.  
I still have the Bomar adjusting arm from my old center hatch - if it's the same arm?

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Sorry for the late response but, thanks Ron and it is the same arm.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : That arm from my old Bomar center hatch is laying in the corner of the garage. 

Do you want it?  Ron
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

I had a cracked lens on my center Bomar hatch 1990 boat 1988 hatch design (serial "88" #) and ugly hatch riser arm, so went to remove lens to replace it, handles, riser arm, gasket, etc.  but best laid plans...the  allen head attachment screw for riser arm snapped off at hatch frame. Bummer! Added up $ for all parts and factored in premium for pain-in-the-ass to drill out hatch arm screw...and for about $100 more, I have a brand new Bomar hatch! Cost $350 from Go to Marine with free shipping ($150 less than from Bomar!!!) Easy install. Old hatch was siliconed in. Used DeBond and putty knife to remove. Four holes in new hatch lined up (one of each side) the rest I redrilled. New hatch uses countersink flathead screws, old used pan head. I used butly tape to bed (two layer minimum) and the whole operation completed in 2-3 hours. It is beautiful and watertight. Only rub. My new Garhauer vang only allows it to open 45 degrees, no big deal. I took hatch cover (which holds the lens) off of hatch frame to install the frame to the deck, which worked out well. But then found when I went to put cover back on,  I had to remove my new vang (two-person jobs) in order to tighten screws on hinge side of hatch and reinstall top of hatch.  Despite a couple of hiccups, another job done, and am happy! :D :D
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Lennysails

Thanks for all the reply's. Stu, I is the v-berth hatch. Sorry, I have not logged on prior to today. I have to visit this page more often.