transmission fluid leak

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Spicer

Got under the cover today to check things out. Found transmission fluid behind the engine, just in front of the shaft log. Looks like it leaked out from the shifter shaft on the stb. side. I filled the transmission last fall to keep moisture from forming. Did this extra cold winter expand the fluid to the point the fluid pushed past the seal of the shifter shaft? Does this mean I need to replace the seal? Looking for some help. Will try to call Hurth tomorrow but starting here is always so good. And right now I need to feel good. Any "Thoughts?"
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Ken Juul

I don't think ATF freezes until about -40f.  Could there be any water in the trans?  It would freeze and possibly force the ATF out.  I would drain and refill to the correct level and watch it as you use the boat this summer.  Put some paper down so if it continues to leak it will be evident.  If it leaks, depending on severity, refill as necessary this summer and rebuild next winter or bite the bullet now.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Phil : As Ken said, oil doesn't expand and contract very much nor does it compress!!  Beside you have two "weep holes" in the measuring stick - one just below the threads and the other in the nut itself.  At least once a year you should blow thru the bottom of the stick and make sure both holes are open (wrote this tip up many times) This will allow any expansion of the air (from heat) to come out of the top hole and not pressure fluid out a lip seal!!  VERY Important

The 3 most obvious places for fluid to leak out of the transmission is 1. from the seal at the output or the lip seal 2. the lip seal at the shifter 3. the drain plug in the bottom
(I recommend to suck out rather than drain the fluid because that washer is hard [to find] to replace the one time use crush washer on that drain plug)

I'd refill to the correct level and just keep and eye on where it might have leaked from?  I wrote a Mainsheet tech article on how to replace that shifter lip seal with the engine in-place!!

Good hunting!!
Ron, Apache #788

Phil Spicer

Ken, Ron: Thank you for the help. Will clean up the mess, put in clean fluid and keep an eye on things.
Ron, I am checking the tech notes so I know how to change the seal if necessary. As many have said, thank you Ron for your many years of service and tech advice. I'm sure your help has kept many boats off the bottom. May your new paths keep a smile on your face and a happy song in your heart.
            Phil
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Roc

Phil,
How much fluid did you find near the shaft log?  If it's a very small amount, maybe it was just some splatter that dripped and migrated it's way off the transmission over the winter?  When you filled it in the fall, you may have had some fluid spill in the crevices, and over time, this dripped down.  Happened to me one year.  Now I'm careful in filling in the fall and wipe off any that I may have gotten on the transmission case so i don't get fooled in the spring.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Phil Spicer

Roc,
Thank you for the thought. I will check into this more on my next trip to the boat. The amount of fluid was way more than a splatter...way more ! Will clean everything and refill, put down another pad and watch. The 20 min run from winter storage to the sail club should let me know if I have a big problem.
   Ron, found your Tech Notes. Will use the note on changing the seal if I find more fluid after running the engine.