Coolant level low

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Quote from: claygr on May 20, 2014, 01:28:34 PM

I learned while flushing our coolant system this spring that it is easy to get bubbles in the coolant system that can lead you to believe the tank is full (i.e., coolant overflows) when it is really not.  My suggestion is to fill it to full and let it settle or start the engine and let it run for a couple of minutes. Then go back and check it again to make sure it really was full.  Otherwise, you may get to find out if your high engine temperature alarm works (ours does just fine). 

It's called BURPING your engine and is included in the "101 Topics" sticky

Engine Overheating 101 - How to Burp Your Engine (Reply #6)  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4518.msg26462.html#msg26462

And Ron Hill wrote up a simple overflow container article years ago:  get a small Rubbermaid container and run the hose into it.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

garyw

THanks  .   Where would I get an expansion tank as it seems like it is worthwhile to have one

Gary

patrice

Quote from: garyw on May 21, 2014, 05:17:10 AM
THanks  .   Where would I get an expansion tank as it seems like it is worthwhile to have one

Gary

Hi,
I kept a small Gatorade bottle, drill the cap with proper size for the hose to pass tight.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Stu Jackson

Quote from: garyw on May 21, 2014, 05:17:10 AM
   Where would I get an expansion tank as it seems like it is worthwhile to have one

Gary, like I said, Rubbermaid, no hole drilling required:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,1637.msg27520.html#msg27520
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Gary : I wrote up the "coolant recovery" system using a quart Rubbermaid bottle in the Mainsheet tech note back in the early 1990's.

Great write-ups & tips in those old mainsheet tech notes.  Should be required reading for all new C34 owners!
Ron, Apache #788