Cockpit Canopy and Enclosure

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Koehlmann

a couple more shots...

Relative to design ideas:
1) Side grab bars are optional but well worth the few extra dollars. Don't know how we did without them before.
2) We added an additional grab bar along the aft section of the dodger, so we wouldn't always be grabbing the canvas by accident to stabilize ourselves in a heel.
3) We had them sew in Velcro along the underside of the dodger (by the frame) and bimini, so we could Velcro LED lights to the underside. Makes it easier getting in and out in the dark and sometimes you want to read later in the evening outside.
4) Screens: We had four of the seven panels outfitted with screens (two forward ones and two outboard aft ones) to help with through breeze on rainy yet buggy days. The central panel in the dodger also comes out and a screen can be fitted into it.
5) Fittings: The makers included snaps so the we could individually roll up each wall panel, or swing the side ones in and back (for easy of getting in and out) Also for the bimini/dodger connector there is a snap to fold it back from the side to make access easier when getting in and out at the dock. The "glass" sections on the panels with screen roll down and tie off so you can have the screen either fully or partially open.
6) Frame: Not really part of the enclosure, but part of how your bimini and dodger are supported; but we had the bimini frame taken off of the deck and supported from railing. This freed up foot space on the deck. We also had them make the frame so that it folds compactly against the backstay so when we want we can close up the bimini and cover it with a canvas boot. We usually sail in stronger weather without the bimini since I don't like extra stuff causing windage.
7) Covers: As with our original dodger, we had covers for the windows made. We have them on whenever we're not at the boat. The hope is that this will extend their life.

The maker also cut slots so that the genoa sheets can pass through to the inside. So far I think we have sailed with the full enclose up only once. I see plenty of people doing it, but I'm probably not use to having the walls "in my way" yet. We did have the height of the frame set to that we sail looking through the dodger. The boom does almost touch it, but we wanted to be able to stand under it without having to double over. If I want to look over top, I stand on the back seat; which works easy enough.

The admiral and I did have a long discussion about colour. She wanted a light colour to prevent over heating and I was happier with the navy blue. In the end I guess I made the convincing argument that while the white kept it cooler in the hot weather it did not help "heat" in the cooler weather. While the blue would heat up on cooler days (assuming sun), if it got hotter, we would just open up the enclosure. The reality is that my argument was basically correct, but in the hot summer sun the dark blue does radiate a reasonable amount of heat. A cold beer should help with that.

Our original dodger had the feature where we could roll up the central window. With the new one the maker convinced us to have a zip down panel, with the option to put  a screen in. The reality is that we miss the convenience of just rolling it up and leaving it in place. This I would do differently next time.

When the lines go through forward to the mast the old dodger had a cover flap that directed water downwards. With the new setup there is just a big opening that the lines go  through. Here again I would go back to the older setup. It kept both the spray, rain and mosquitoes out. Now we shove an old towel into the space when anchored.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Fred Koehlmann

I forgot, the maker as JTs Textiles (http://www.jtstextiles.com/marine/), in Midland. Jari came out to the boat and we worked out the details. I'm a "picky" or a "detailed minded" person, so not every little thing went the way that I wanted, but I'd say they did good work and we happy with the results.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Brent Evans

Sorry not to have replied sooner, Dave (Footloose).  Here's the collapsible under-mount ladder used on my swim platform.  Available from Defender.com