Electrical ??

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

I went to the boat today.  Not snowing or cold.  Put in a new bilge pump.  Works great.  While I was working on the boat I used my starting battery to test the bilge pump and discovered that I had to move the switch to both.(House batteries are at home).  Also had to have it on both to turn the engine over, even tho the house batteries are not on the boat.  Is this normal or am I missing something.  I am electrically challenged.
Appreciate any and all comments.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Ron Hill

Paul : Don't know how you wired in your bilge pump, but it sound like you are only wired in the On/Off switch on the main electrical panel.

What you need to do is also wire in a float switch which should be wired directly (and fused) to the house bank.  That way when the float rises it switches on the bilge pump even when the position of the battery selector in in the OFF position.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Paulus

Hi Ron, wired it correctly but had to move the battery switch to both to get power.  House batteries are still in my basement.  Also tried to start the motor and had to move the battery switch to both.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Stu Jackson

Paul, the answer to your question is:  "It depends on how it is wired."  We simply can't answer it from here, because you have to trace the wires FROM your batteries to the 1-2-B switch (assuming you only have one switch, we don't know that either) and then to the distribution panel and the pump.  We have no idea what either you or the PO had done to the boat.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Paulus

Stu, I have spend the last 2 hrs reading your articles on wiring, great stuff.  I believe I have the problem solved.  I think that I put the DP wire on battery #2, which is my house battery(absent for the winter) should have put it on the C terminal.  This all started with wanting to put an ACR in the system as your article suggested.  I appreciate the help as I am challenged in this field.
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Paulus on April 07, 2014, 05:32:40 PM
Stu, I have spend the last 2 hrs reading your articles on wiring, great stuff.  ... I appreciate the help as I am challenged in this field.
Thanks,

Paul,

We're always glad to help, and appreciate the kind words.

"..challenged in the field..." is something we hear a LOT about boat electrics.

None of us, me included, were "born electricians" and it sure sounds like you're doing your homework.  I knew absolutely nothing about this subject when we bought our boat in 1998.  I, too, did my homework, and simply realized that doing wiring diagrams is THE most important thing when it comes to electrical troubleshooting.  I've mentioned many times, here and elsewhere, that when folks write about an electrical problem and/or provide a photo (except for those kinky trailer connections on the wiring harnesses!:D) "...this post is useless without wiring diagrams!"  :D

Stay with it, you'll get there, good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Paulus

Stu, I do have an electrical diagram.  When I originally bought the boat and joined this organization(has been a great help), the electrical upgrades had been done.  I put in golf cart batteries and a starting battery.  At that time, you, Ken Jul and Moe helped me with this issue and has worked well for me.(Your diagram is on my desk)  This past fall I wanted to add a solar panel and this started the snowball effect. 
Appreciate all the input and patience. 
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944