Removing and Remounting the Wheel While on a Mooring

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck.Philips

We like to spend extended time on our mooring at 2-Harbors in Catalina--often, 3-4 weeks at a time.  Getting around the wheel is sort of a pain.  Removing the wheel and zip-tieing it to a life line or stanchion doesn't look difficult; however, with the Auto-Helm, is there anything we need to be aware of when we want to re-attach the wheel/autohem and are ready to go sailing? Thanks.
Chuck Philips
"Forever Young"
2005 Catalina 34--#1725--Anniversary Edition

Stu Jackson

Just make sure you don't lose the key in the slot.  Many folks spend the extra $$ on an Edson wheel knurled knob.  Waste of $$ in my opinion.  I greased my standard nut in 1998 and it still turns smoothly.  In fact, both Captain Al Watson and I got in the habit of regularly tightening it slightly by hand while sailing.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

patrice

Hi,
And I also read someone had cut a small piece of PVC pipe to cover the portion of shaft on the pedestal so no one would get grease on them.
And at same time, keep the key on the shaft.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Fred Koehlmann

They are not cheap, but we found the Lewmar folding wheel, that we bought for ourselves last year as a Christmas present, is well worth the cost.

The solid destroyer wheel was OK, but with two kids and ourselves moving about the cockpit and all the back and forth to access the stern when swimming, it was too wide and we were always walking on the cockpit cushions, knocking things off or over, and hitting our ankles or other body parts. I though about taking it off at anchorage sometimes, but didn't seem to have a place to store it easily. I also wasn't too crazy about connecting and disconnecting the auto-helm every time. Then there was the one time we did drag our anchor, and I was glad that there was a wheel attached at the helm. :)

The Lewmar folding wheel has been great. I guess the only issue we did have was that occasionally we hit or got hung up on the central spoke when it was folded. I resolved that issue by cutting a slot into a tennis-ball and slipping one over each end.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Stu Jackson

Frederick, are there any issues with the control panel (Mark II?) or dealing with the autopilot installation when the wheel is folded?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Fred Koehlmann

Hi Stu,

I had no problem swapping the autopilot ring off of the fixed wheel and putting it onto the folding. Both have six spokes and the ring attached the same for me. I think I remember someone saying that the spokes were angled off of true for them but I did not find that to be an issue. The autopilot ring does have some flexibility in the plastic, and I may not have had to tighten it down as much as on the destroyer wheel. The ring, if I remember correctly (I haven't seen the boat all winter), is on the forward side of the wheel and the wheel folds aft, so there is no issue between the two.

Hope that answers your questions.

[I just checked my old photos and my memory did serve me correctly. The auto-pilot ring is in front so that the wheel folding doesn't conflict with it. Unfortunately the only photo I have of it folded up also shows the admiral coming out of the water in her swim suit, and posting it is not in my best health. ;)]
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Indian Falls

I take the wheel off all the time.  No grease needed.  The keyway is at 12:00oclock and stuck in the slot in the shaft and isn't going anywhere.  I use a "bungee" to hold the wheel to the lifeline and bimini just over the diesel fill cap.  My auto helm 4000 is not an issue, line up the peg, plug it in.  The regular wheel nut is only hand tight.  It comes off in two seconds and goes back on in 5.  My advise is feel free.  The worst thing that can happen is you loose the nut or the keyway somehow.  I saw in some catalog somewhere that somebody makes a "winch handle" looking thing to take the place of your wheel when moored or just bobbing about.  Just so if you "had to" you could steer or sail with this in place of the wheel.  
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Dave Spencer

Chuck,
I regularly remove my wheel while we're at anchor.  There are no issues with the autopilot  (either the Raymarine X5 or the Autohelm ST4000).  I simply unplug the power from the drive motor, unscrew the wheel nut and lash the wheel to our bimini frame with the drive motor pointing outboard.  I keep about three wraps of plastic (electrician's) tape on the wheel shaft between the wheel and the binnacle.  I remove it and wrap the key in place on the shaft after removing the wheel.  With three wraps, the tape stays sticky for several weeks.  I have no grease on the shaft so there is no mess and the wheel comes off easily.  Like Stu, I regularly tighten the nut by hand while sailing.
I usually put the wheel back in place before heading to bed for the night when we're at anchor.  If the wind picks up unexpectedly overnight and we have to move in the dark, I don't want to be messing around installing the wheel.  I also usually set my chartplotter lighting to the night setting before turning it off and retiring for the night for the same reason.  I always have an escape route to open water plotted and ready to go on the plotter if necessary.  
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Roland Gendreau

We found out one disadvantage of having the open transom model C34.   As I removed the wheel while anchored, I watched in horror as the key fell off the shaft, took one bounce on the floor and went directly overboard. At that time I didn't carry a spare for it.   

But, I improvised - I cut the head off of a 10/24 machine screw, laid it in the shaft keyway and it worked as a substitute key to get us home. 

Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

lazybone

If your worried about losing the key, just slightly stake the slot then slide (hammer) the key in from the end.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Steve Sayian

A bit of Loktite Blue works too.

I use it on my Edson knurled knob also to kee it from backing off.

We hav and Edson steering wheel holder that's mounted to the stbd bimini rail that we use to put the wheel on when we need unrestricted space in the 'pit'.

Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

mainesail

Quote from: fkoehlmann on March 20, 2014, 02:01:46 PM
They are not cheap, but we found the Lewmar folding wheel, that we bought for ourselves last year as a Christmas present, is well worth the cost.

Amen, some of the best boat bucks we've spent...
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Phil Spicer

Got my folding wheel about 7 or 8 years ago for Fathers Day. Only problem, I was told that's also for Christmas, birthday ,etc. for many years to come. Still, as Mainesail said , " some of the best boat bucks we've spent."
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Brad Young

we have the simrad wheel auto pilot. You would have to unsnap the track cover and expose the belt. Did not like that. So i got a folding wheel for Father's Day. Beats a tie any day! Best boat bucks ever.

Brad
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84