Water in the bilge

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

Trying to determine where the water is coming in from.  I'm up in the northeast.  Boat is in the water for the winter.  I have a tarp over the whole cabin top.  Cockpit is exposed.  Wheel is covered and engine panel is covered and taped.  Been checking on the boat once a month.  Water in the bilge each time.  I assumed it was getting in through the stern locker cover since sometimes during heavy rains I get water in through there.  Last week I took some blue carpenter chalk and put a line of it on the hull under the aft cabin.  Wanted to see if a particular side of the stern locker was leaking or my cockpit shower cover. 
Was at the boat yesterday.  Water in the bilge but none of the chalk had been disturbed.  Can't figure out where the water is coming in from.  Might be the mast but in the summer, I usually don't get water in from the mast.  I put some chalk right at the base of the mast where the wires come out to check next time it rains.

I removed & relocated both the vent stanchions last year.  They were both leaking. I epoxyed the holes in the deck so I know water isn't coming in from there.

Any other thoughts?

Paulus

Check your cockpit drain hoses. Unless you have replaced them.  Same problem and it took me 2 yrs to find.
Cool Change 1989 #944

Ken Heyman

I assume it's not salt water. I still would be suspicious of the intrusion being rainwater through the mast even  though you have discounted this.
Good luck,
Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

mregan

I think if it was the cockpit hoses, when the water ran under the aft berth, it would have picked up some of the blue chalk.

Clay Greene

Why not draw the blue carpenter's chalk around the bilge to see where the water is coming in?  I also would be suspicious of the mast, assuming that you have a keel-stepped mast.  We always got water in the bilge when it rained that came right down the mast.  Nothing really to do about it. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Jim Hardesty

I had a leak at the emergency rudder cover. Not a lot of water leaked in but I try to keep the bilge dry.  I replaced the O-ring and resealed the cover.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ed Shankle

I think mast as well. I've seen the water seeping out from the edge of the mast base. For the winter I tape from the top edge of the mast step to a bucket in the bilge, sort of creating a scoop. When I go to the boat periodically, maybe monthly, to check on things, the bucket is full, if not overflowing. So I empty the bucket and start again.
Speaking of scoops, if your mast has the inverted entry guide for a spinnaker halyard, that's a great source. I cover that with a piece of duct tape if I can get up the mast before haulout.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Ron Hill

Guys : Ed said a mouthful!!

You'd be surprised how much rain water comes down that mast!! --  Even though the mast has a cap and you tape over the spinnaker exit!!
Ron, Apache #788

lazybone

I always get a bit of water down the mast but one winter I forgot to replace the sail stop thumb screw just above the gooseneck and there was an enormous increase in the amount of water in the bilge.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Albreen

My first time C34 experience with finding the leak for bilge water eventually lead me to a slight crack and loose fit of the anchor drain hose that was leaking a lot of water. I replaced the hose and only have to deal with the usual down the mast amount of water now. Good luck.
Paul Leible
1987 C34 "ALBREEN", SR/FK, M25XP
Sailing Lake Champlain

mregan

Finally got back down today while it was raining.  Didn't notice any water running down the outside of the mast but the wood shim on the sail track side was soaked.  Also noticed one side of the mast base was wet.  Looks like I'm getting water on the inside and outside of the mast.  It's amazing how much water gets in.  We have probably had 4 days of rain in the past 3 weeks and the water is up to the top of the bilge pump. (Bilge pump broke this winter, part of spring maintenance list)

kwaltersmi

I've got the same thing going on.  I have my C34 covered dry and tight for winter, but found a nice frozen block of ice to the top of the bilge pump when I went and check on her last weekend.  The floorboard in front of the mast has a wet spot at the base, right next to the mast.  Looks like I'll have to figure something out to seal things up better next winter. 
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

Jim Hardesty

My mast is deck stepped, so no problems for me.  Some of the local sailors add a garplug drain to the bilge.  They remove the plug in the fall and replace it before launch.  It works for them.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Indian Falls

I get a lot of water down the inside of the mast.
Since I hate mopping and sponging the water out. I made a tray for on top of the mast step, under the mast fitting.  It should dribble right into a 1 gallon jug.  Historically I get almost a gallon out from mopping.

It will be epoxied to the step and the fitting epoxied on top.

Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

mregan

Neat idea.  Let us know how it works.