Macerator pump replacement and making it fit on a MK1

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve McGill

Folks,

On my MK1 I am replacing my macerator pump. The original (I believe) install has the pump installed vertically on the aft wall of the port settee storage with the tank. I remove the wood supporting the tank on the aft end and port side or the tank.

To remove the old macerator I needed to cut the pipe between it and the tank. No real problem in removing the pump and I also removed the tank to clean the entire area around the tank.

I am trying to determine the best way to re-install the new pump, fitting and tank. For anyone that has done this was there any secret on how to install the pump and tank and connect the plumbing fittings?

The hose between the macerator fitting and the holding tank is only 5" long.
With the fittings and the hose the fit in the area is extremely tight, again any secret or tricks with the install you would like to share.

Thanks,

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Indian Falls

I'd keep the location of the pump the same.  It sounds like the install is the same as mine. 

There is no better way to put that in there due to constraints of the fittings and considerations for installation and removal. 

The plywood on the aft end of the tank is optional in my opinion.  I removed my tank for cleaning and possible replacement last spring.  I was fighting odor problems in that area and found that the odor was the settee area not the tank itself.  I also gave up on keeping the macerator...  pretty soon you won't be able to discharge overboard at all so you may want to alleviate yourself from the extra maintenance item.  For odor control I ended up painting the settee interior area, the tank and the storage area forward of the tank with rustoleum.  I have no idea what kind of leaks or problems the PO had but the only solution in getting rid of that funky septic smell was paint.   If I can find it easy I'll link the thread after posting this.

My advise in short, is to put it back the way it was or leave it out.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Stu Jackson

Steve, our macerator pump is on that same aft wall of the compartment.  Here's how it's plumbed:  tank outlet with a short piece of hose to an elbow up and into the pump using thd threaded portion of the pump - the barb part was cut off; the pump outlet to the thru hull is a curved bit of hose.

That, as Dan says, is about the only way to get all that stuff in there.  

I have to replace my frozen pump sometime soon.  What I'll do is remove the pump outlet to the thru hull first, unscrew the pump/bracket from the wall, disconnect the hose from the tank and take the pump, elbow and hose all out in one step.  Replacement would be to (re)build the pump/elbow/hose to tank assembly and slip them all in together.

I disagree with "pretty soon you won't be able to pump out anymore anywhere" since we have this great big ocean here.  While we have plenty of pump out stations around here, I find the macerator convenient after a night on the hook and a sail out past three miles.   If you're on a lake, of course it's true.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."