MK I Fordeck Bulb replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Henderson

Went to use my foredeck light this evening and found out it's burnt.   :cry:
Obviously I need a replacement and I've seen some post for MK II bulb replacements but I need a recommendation for the bulb on a MK I. 
I would really prefer to get an LED as well... and obviously USCG approved.
Any suggestions?    :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

If you are talking about the deck light, when i replaced mine years ago I had to solder longer leads onto it to make it fit.  Sorry I don't remember the size.  If you are thinking LED it might be easier to replace both lights with a new fixture.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Kevin : If you are talking about the deck light and you have a Forspar steaming/Deck combo light, the deck light is a halogen 20Watt with two prongs to plug in.  The steaming light is a bayonet bulb.

If you look in the West Marine catalog you can identify your light fixture and some list the replacement bulbs!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

mregan

I don't thinks it's fair that you are in sailing weather and we have another 3-6" of snow coming tomorrow so I'm not going to tell you what bulb to use. :x :cry4`

Footloose

I will take 3-6 inches; 12-20+ predicted for here. :cry4`
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Kevin Henderson

So is this a bad time to mention that it was 80F this past weekend sailing?    :shock:  8) :wink:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Fred Koehlmann

Maybe. This is Midland,... still frozen and under plenty of snow too. Here's what our slip area looks like now. You'd have to dig through the snow to get to the ice... let alone find any water.
:cry:
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

patrice

Quote from: Kevin Henderson on March 11, 2014, 11:38:57 AM
So is this a bad time to mention that it was 80F this past weekend sailing?    :shock:  8) :wink:

YYEEEESSSSSSSSSSS     :nail
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Mick Laver

Kevin
I can see replacing lights that are used a lot such as your cabin, running, and anchor lights with LEDs. There's definitely an incredible energy savings. But why go to the expense of replacing a seldom used foredeck light with an LED, esp if you have to get a new fixture? Seems like the original halogen would make more sense.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Fuzzy

If you are talking about the halogen deck light and not the steaming light, you shouldn't need a Coast Guard approved
bulb.
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

Kevin Henderson

Thanks for all the inputs!  I am not going to seek to replace with LED.  Especially when I know I can get the replacement halogen bulb for around $25.

(Spare Bottom Bulb MR16 Halogen   Price: $24.37)   

Now the next thing.  Getting up to the light. 
I think I'll ask that question as a separate topic. :abd:
~Henry David Thoreau