Cockpit table with hinged fold down sides

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

mfa : I believe that this is what you are looking for:

I made table wings and added them to an existing teak table. 
I used 4 recessed hinges (2 on each wing) and I used a router to make the recesses in the table and wings. 
To add extra strength so as to not put strain on those hinges, I also added a couple (2) of braces under the table.  These braces turn out 90 degrees when the wings are out and turn in when the wings are folded up. 
I just cut a couple of pieces of teak ((about 6/8" long) and screwed them into the bottom of the center table. I contoured them so they held the wings straight out when they are under the wings
Just takes a bit of fiddling, but easy to measure and do.

A thought 
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Great idea, Ron.  Kinda like the piece of wood underneath the pop up extension in the galley on the Mark I boats?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Stu : You are exactly correct, but they are screwed in to the bottom of the table rather than the 90 degree side like that fold out galley leaf.   :thumb:

That brace screw need to be positioned so that there is enough brace after the brace is turned (pivoted)  under the table, as well as under the leaf!!  That what gives the support.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Clay Greene

Here is a photo of Mike's table (our former boat).  I think Ron's idea would work if I understand him to mean a rectangular piece of teak mounted parallel to the length of the table on the bottom that could rotate to perpindicular when the leaves are folded out.  That would provide some extra support for the hinges.  The extra support is only going to be as strong as the mount to the bottom of the table and Mike is limited to the depth of the table in terms of how deep the mount can go in. 

The hinges are mortised out and they are a weak spot for the table, no doubt.  There are just three wood screws holding the hinge in place on each piece.  I filled the holes once and went to bigger screws but there is no getting around that the hinges hold the weight of the leaves and whatever is on them (food, drinks, teenager elbows when their parents are not looking, etc.). 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Ron Hill

clay : You are right on. 
I tapered those supports so they curve up at the ends.  That leaves more leg room when the table is up and the leaves folded out :idea:.

A thought

Ron, Apache #788