Cockpit table with hinged fold down sides

Previous topic - Next topic

mfarrant

Being new to the site, and a new C34 TR owner, I am learning the ropes of the message board. The cockpit table has the hinged fold down side boards that are not very well support. Only the 2 little hinges on each side. I am looking for something that can help support the sides in the down position. I have found this piece of hardware but wondering if anyone had another suggestion. Thanks in advance for any input.

http://www.vandykes.com/table-leaf-fork/p/205778/

Fred Koehlmann

We just  use a shock cord or elasticated Velcro strap to hold the table and leaves against the console arch.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Ron Hill

mfa : I have a sunbrella sack that I pull over the table to keep the UV off when not in use. 
Then I secure the table with a shock cord that goes around the table and the steering pedestal.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

tommyt

I am going to assume, based on the link, that by "down" postiion you mean when the table is in use and side pieces are open?

Not sure whose table you have, but most commercial applications will be supported by the hinges. Not sure what you would be putting on the table that would challenge the hinges. Body weight will not be supported no matter what you do.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

patrice

Hi,
Whatever type of table, you have to get new habits to not put weight, elbows on the sides of table.
We all have same issue.
Wood table with tinny hinges.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

lazybone

If you have tiny hinges you might want to change over to ss piano hinges.  Easy conversion.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ron Hill

mfa : If we didn't answer your question in the posts above, I recommend that you restate your problem.

I'm not too sure is the problem is with the table open and up or closed and folded down??
Ron, Apache #788

mfarrant

Thanks to everyone that provided feedback. I can see where my question was not 100% clear. My questions is directed at the table being in the upright / being used position, with the table "wings" folded out, thus forming the full size table. We haven't been putting weight on the table wings, but the side wings slope down slightly and I was looking for a method of creating a more uniform surface.

Thanks again to all!

Footloose

Are there mortises cut for the hinges?  If the hinges are surface mounted the surface will not be flat when open.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Jim Hardesty

That clears up the question.  Knowing the table material and manufacturer or if the table was custom made would help.  Pictures are great, with a phone camera it's real easy.  Back to your problem.  Sounds like your hinges may be loose or stressed from too much weight. A piano hinge may be the answer.  But then, you would need to inlay the hinge and refinish the table.  Cockpit tables are great, but they are poor work benches or grab rails.  FWIW, I don't think that the hardware you mentioned would fix the problem.  I haven't seen the table, so I could be wrong.
Hope this is a help.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Tom Soko

mfarrant,
I think I understand what you are asking.  A buddy of mine had the same problem.  Rather than move or replace the hinges, he simply attached small round cork "buttons" to the edges.  They are the kind that you would use under a glass tabletop.  About 1/2" in diameter and maybe 1/32" thick.  When the table is folded up, you can hardly see them.  When the leaves are opened, the cork buttons keep the leaves flat with the main part of the table.  You might have to experiment with different thicknesses, depending on how much the leaves sag.  Once he got the right thickness, he put a few coats of polyurethane over them to help keep them in place, and seal them.  Sorry I don't have any pix.  Not my boat!!!  Hope this helps.
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

You might also check to see if any of the existing hinges are loose or loose or missing screws. If the screws are loose, put a toothpick into the screw hole and break off the excess to make a tighter screw hole.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Momentum M

A friend of mine had the same problem so he did install a piece of wood underneath the table (when the table is out of service that piece of wood is not seeable - against the pedestrial).  The piece of wood is drilled(in the center) and then screwed (only one screw) on the edge of the central part of the table.....so now that piece can pivot underneath the wing and support it.   You can have it the way you prefer meaning a long piece of wood that wood support both wings in one shot (but her you are limited to opening both wings at the same time), or 2 small one on either side or, of course one on each side.

It works good for my friend.

good luck
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

mfarrant

Thanks for the new information. The hinges and screws are basically tight. I have no idea on the manufacturer, and I know we didn't use the table wings as a method to get up from sitting. It seems to me that they just slowly wear and sag. The input from Tom S and Momentum M gets me on a little different thought pattern. Now it is a matter of hardware, winged wood, or little spacers. The table is in the shop downstairs and there is snow on the winter cover – looks like project decision time!

Mike

Indian Falls

I don't believe the table forks will do a thing for you, too short.  First thing I would do is remove the hinges make sure they are not damaged from hyper extension.  If they are parallel when open they are good.  Fill the screw holes with epoxy and a piece of wood similar hardness to your teak if no teak on hand.  Toothpicks too soft. Redrill your screw holes favoring a wider stance in the hole.  The thing that keeps the leaves level is a tight hinge and zero gap between the leaf and the table.  The first thing to go when leaning on the table is compression of the screw holes toward each other, then stretching of the hinge. 
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?