Water Heater Thermostatic Mixing Valves

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

John Langford

Thanks Stu. But this may not be a pressing problem for owners of boats with the Universal M-35BC engine. Since the engine running temp is only 160 degrees you are lucky to get water hot enough to shower - especially after it has run through long 1/2" lines in a cool bilge.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Ron Hill

John : I believe that you need to check if your thermostat is missing or stuck in the open position.  After the engine temp hits 160F you should have warm water for showering.

After running for an hour you should have to add cold water to the shower wand.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

patrice

Hi,

Always good information here.  :-)
I guess that I will check at my termostat this spring, because I have not very warm water comming from the tank after some motoring.
My engine running at 160F, I thought the termostat was doing it's job ???
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Stu Jackson

Patrice,

"Some" motoring?  My experience is that it takes at least 45 minutes of cruise rpm motoring to get the six gallons warm/hot.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

patrice

Hi,

Ok then, I guess mine run normal     :clap
It's thru that I run with the 160F thermostat, and MaineSail was talking about thermostat that run 200F

:abd:
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Stu Jackson

Gentlemen,

Household hot water runs a tad under 120F.  Run your hot water at home and stick a thermometer under it. 

The difference between 160 and 180 will not be noticeable to a little kid who turns on the hot water faucet!

Noah

Dredging up an old thread: i am interested in installing a thermostatic mixing valve to regulated hot water temp. Has anyone sucessfully installed one on a Mark I? If so: what brand did you use (Honeywell, Sharkbite or?), 1/2 in. or 3/4 in., where did you locate it, and what was involved in the hook up?
Thx,
Noah
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Craig Illman

I used one of these (1/2" NPT threaded) at the water heater discharge. It blends cold water in with the hot.  https://www.mrsupply.com/watts-series-lf70a-1-2-lf70at-0559130.html

http://c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Hot_Water_Temperature

Craig

Noah

You have a Mark II I believe? Where is your water heater located. Space/heater configuration looks different than my Mark I.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig