Water Viscosity Problem

Previous topic - Next topic

waterdog

It's a long weekend here.   We have a new holiday called "Family Day"   We had planned a weekend cruise, but we ended up with a little water viscosity issue.    The top inch and a half seems to be in a non liquid form.     There is no getting the boat out of the slip...   
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Kevin Henderson

Interesting problem... and curious at that. :think
I hope that never happens down here... so far our water is still pretty slippery  :razz:

Sorry that it spoiled your day to sail   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Footloose

To quote Thumper:  "The water is stiff!"  About 16-20 inches of stiff according to the ice fishermen I have spoken with.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Jim Hardesty

I'm not trying to one up anyone, but, this is what our water (Lake Erie) looks like. The near land, not the forground, is the tip of Presque Isle, about 4 miles, the next is Port Stanley, Ont, 70 miles.  All frozen.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Footloose

Not sure if this is an omen or not.  The Defender and West Mairine catalogs arrived today.  Up to a foot of snow tonight. :cry4`
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Clay Greene

The good news is that all the ice cover on the Great Lakes means less evaporation and higher water levels.  All of the snow melt in the northern latitudes should help with that as well. 

I have found that weather tends to balance itself out in pretty short order.  So, I am clinging to the belief that we're just paying our dues for a beautiful spring and an outstanding summer. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Dave Spencer

We have signifiant water viscosity problems on Georgian Bay too.  I took a boarding wave in early December and the cockpit still hasn't drained.   :shock:  The high viscosity wasn't all bad though, it's thick enough that none made it down the companionway.   :thumb:

I'm with claygr.  I think we'll have a great summer will good water levels on the great lakes this year.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario