Organizing the lines from the mast step

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_in_lex

This is not a huge deal in the scheme of things, but I'd be interested in any recommendations on grouping/setting the order of lines that run from the mast area into the cockpit.  On each side of the hatch I have a jam cleat for the traveler, then a set of 4 rope clutches.  Right now the lines go, from port to starboard:

Traveler (port cam), spin hal, jib hal, main outhaul, vang // main inhaul, main hal, topping lift, mainsheet, Traveler (stbd cam)

My thought is to a) have the mainsheet as easy to reach as possible, therefore probably on an inner clutch, closer to the center-line; and b) have the main outhaul/inhaul lines next to each other.  It seems easy, but in order to get everything flowing smoothly I have to switch, say, the main outhaul to the stbd side, which requires switching a stbd line to the port side.  That gets complicated with the pulleys at the mast step, and the feeds through the mast.  Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

Dave DeAre

Steve,
Not sure I understand. My MK2 has the mainsheet on both sides and is anchored by a simple push down jam cleat. I keep the mainsheet on the starboard winch, no cam cleat used. When necessary to use the winch, not often, I just push the mainsheet onto the jam cleat. I believe this is how the rigging is shown in the owners manual and is how I have also seen on other MK2's. Hope this helps.
Overdue
2002 34, roller main, tall rig
Burnham Harbor, Chicago

Jim Hardesty

Steve,
I also use my line controls as Dave described.  I adjust my travler with cam cleats on each end of the traveler track.  The main sheet is in the jam cleats or on the winch.  The only problem I've had is with the outhaul and the main furling line.  They sometimes get jammed under the corners of the hatch.  I just check and clear them with a short boat hook before setting or furling the sail.
That's just the way I do it.  If someone has better way, I'll go for it.
Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

tommyt

Although I did not have a furling main, I would agree with the other responses. I cannot imagine running the main sheet other than to the winch or to the jam cleat. It needs to be easy to blow in an emergency.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Steve_in_lex

Thanks for your comments...I'm glad I asked.  We just bought the boat and only took it out for one brief sail in a light wind.  She's out of the water and I haven't double-checked, but I believe our main sheet was rigged to go through a clutch, which didn't make sense to me. 

I'll set it up like it is in the manual.  I want to rig a different colored mainsheet anyway, so it's easy to find in a hurry.

Steve
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Steve_in_lex on January 02, 2014, 11:49:13 AM
...I believe our main sheet was rigged to go through a clutch, which didn't make sense to me.  

Steve, actually it makes a great deal of sense.  It provides a repeatable fairlead to the winch, and you leave the clutch open when sailing.  It is far superior to the factory clam cleats which are useless for holding anything safely.  The winch is best for that.

Since you are, admittedly, new to all this, spend some time on your boat in the new season before you go changing things (that the PO maybe had improved - or maybe screwed up!  :D).
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Steve_in_lex

Thanks Stu, good point...sail her first.  I took another look at pictures and see that the PO made the sheet single-ended by securing the port side, and rigged the traveler double-ended.  My guess is that he wanted to use the traveler to play the main upwind, rather than the sheet.  I can see that going around the buoys in a relatively steady breeze.

Steve
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Steve_in_lex on January 02, 2014, 12:10:01 PMMy guess is that he wanted to use the traveler to play the main upwind, rather than the sheet.  I can see that going around the buoys in a relatively steady breeze.

That is a VERY good analysis.  If you look in the "101 Topics" sticky, you find "Single Handed 101" which discusses this very idea, which is what I do.  I got very tired very quickly of trying to haul back in a bunch of mainsheet when going upwind in ANY kind of breeze, the traveler is a LOT easier.  It sounds like you have a pretty good setup.  Other skippers prefer double ended mainsheets.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."