Interesting - Water Heater Parts

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Masters

The day I found the source of the water leak in my boat, the current issue of the Catalina magazine shows up with an article with the part numbers for that fix.
On a different note, spent last week, Thanksgiving week, in San Francisco and we had some of the best weather I have ever seen up there.  Thanks for arranging that Stu.

Ralph

[added to title - Stu]
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

David Comando

Can you expand on the leak you found and how you repaired it? I am a bit behind on my reading of "Mainsheet", although I did peruse the photos. (Great photo Stu!). When I retire, I'll enjoy the time to read cover to cover of Mainsheet, Cruising World, Sail, etc.
David Comando, 1987 Kindred Spirit, Hull# 55 sailing the waters of Eastern Long Island, and to other points in the Northeast.

Ralph Masters

The hot water heater pressure relief.  Took a lot, and I do mean a lot of looking to figure it out.
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

Ralph : Something told me you were having problems!!   8)

Seriously, if you look at the newer hot water heater pictures they show a hose from the outlet of the pressure relief valve curving down past the bottom of the hot water heater body.  I found that if you take some paper towel and roll it up and stick it into the end of that hose it'll let you know (when wet) that the PRV is leaking.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

scotty

So is that where the new magnesium anode goes?  If so, is there still a relief valve function? 
Thanks, and Merry Christmas!    :santa
Scotty

Stu Jackson

Quote from: scotty on December 03, 2013, 07:00:49 PM
So is that where the new magnesium anode goes?  If so, is there still a relief valve function? 

The anode goes where the drain valve - upper right - is.  The PRV (pressure relief valve) stays where it is, upper left side.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ralph Masters

Stu,
I do have the fitting in the outlet of the PRV and a short hose going down to the bilge, but that was always dry.  The water dripping out was dripping directly from the stem where the manual handle is attached, the PRV is not turned so the outlet points straight down so water leaking by would sit in the valve body and drip from that stem.  I checked that hose daily.  When I replace that PRV I will tighten it enough so the outlet points down.  It's always something.

Thanks,

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

Scotty : The anode goes in the drain which is the lower left with the butterfly knob. 
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Ron's right, sorry.  Here's a picture of the old & new ones.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ron Hill

Guys : Sorry, I forgot that the old heaters (80s/90s) had a butterfly knob and the new heaters have a knurled drain knob !!
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

From Ron's comment I guess that means I'm about to replace the water heater for the 3rd time.  The one I took out in 2001/2 had the knurled knob so it was probably the first replacement.  I got 10 years or so out of the one I put in, now it's time for the fourth.  My boat was a 1990 fall build.  33 years, 3 water heaters averages out to 11 years between replacements.  Add it to your expected maintenance list.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

lazybone

Quote from: Stu Jackson on December 04, 2013, 03:54:33 PM

Wow, that thing looks like you got it off the bottom of the ocean :?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Roc

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

patrice

Hi,

Me too, was looking at the pictures, and my comment was, this is a nice drain valve.  It must empty pretty quickly compared to my knurled knob with 1/8 hole.
I'm afraid I'll end up replacing it soon after reading your story guys.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Stu Jackson

Quote from: lazybone on December 05, 2013, 07:58:34 PM
Quote from: Stu Jackson on December 04, 2013, 03:54:33 PM

Wow, that thing looks like you got it off the bottom of the ocean :?

That's only because I got it from the bottom of the under the galley sink area!  Note that I painted the bottom corners of the new one - with Rustoleum paint.