Companionway Waterfall

Previous topic - Next topic

Carolina Soul

Is there a history and a tried and true solution to the "Companionway Waterfall?" 
Rain water collects in the recessed area forward of the companionway sliding hatch (the area where the hatch slides to when open) on my 1988 Catalina 34.  Then, after I get into the cabin, relaxing because I am now out of the rain, I close the sliding hatch, and the lip on the forward end gathers all that cold water and dumps it on the back of my neck as I stand at the bottom of the companion way steps.  My Catalina 30 had little drains cut into the Port and Starboard wood trim in which the hatch slides, but the 34 does not.  I am wondering if there are weep holes somewhere that may have become clogged over the years.  Does anyone else have this problem and a workable solution?

mregan

There are weep holes in the two teak pieces on each side of the hatch on my '86.  I just pulled them off to re-finish and there was a bunch of leaves, dirt, etc stuck under them in the weep hole area.  Probably same issue on yours.

Ron Hill

Carolina : As Mre mentioned there are 2 weep holes on the bow end (deck side) of the teak strips that are on each side of the sliding companion way hatch.

I'm sure that over the years that sliding track and the weep holes have become clogged with junk.  I'd recommend that you close the hatch, move the hatch laterally and spray in some detergent/409/Simple Green and let it set awhile.  Then with the hatch still closed hit the track with pressure water from a hose and hope that clears the clog.  You should see the dirty water flow on to the deck at the bow end of those teak strips. 
If necessary you can remove those teak strips by drilling out the plugs and there is a Phillips head screw. 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

BobAthensGA

When I rebedded the teak rails, seahood, and sliding hatch last year I only sealed around where the bolts/screws went with  Butyl rubber. I did not seal all the way down the teak rails nor did I seal at the forward edge of the seahood. (seahood I think is the correct term for the compartment the sliding hatch slides into). This has allowed the water to drain more than in the past. The hood use to have silicon all the way around it and the teak rails had beeds of silicon running fore and aft. The water has to go somewhere or it will puddle until it dries or is moved by the sliding hatch. So far I have had no issues with allowing the water to move more freely. Since the hatch is a high point the water drains to the sides.