Report: This summer with the new table and holding tank installation

Previous topic - Next topic

n624ma

The new saloon table is an unqualified success!
We now enjoy easy access to the U shaped settee and an adequate dining table.

The new holding tank installation is also a success!
No leaks, NO ODORS!!, no problems of any kind (in spite of the "Non Conventional" plumbing)

We are on the boat about 4 days a week in July and August and had a guest aboard for a 10 day cruise so both projects got a thorough test.
Joseph Rheubeck

kwaltersmi

'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

n624ma

The table in the photo is the prototype, made of a $15.00 Melamine covered project board from Home Depot.

This winters project is to make the real table now that the dimensions and support placements have been confirmed through a summers use.

Now the hard part comes, deciding on what type of wood to use.

Joseph Rheubeck

Indian Falls

Joe you and I were battling tank smell at the same time, back when Peggy chimed in all matters sanitary, (whatever happened to her??)  I purchased a new tank Through the Tank Depot and it arrived with no holes... it was a 20 plus gallon envelope full of California air.  Not much use, and they wanted me to use thru-hulls for connections. I returned the tank and they after reviewing the website offered to send me another if sent a drawing where I wanted the pipe fittings welded in.  I declined... I could not wait another 3 weeks and was refunded.
My solution was to paint the holding tank with PLASTIC primer and then rustoleum white oil alkyd.  During this whole phase I'd learned that the real source of the smell was the place the tank resided in. That compartment stinks!  Nothing would remove the smell for more than a week.  So I painted that too and the compartment forward of it.

Smell problem is now history.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Indian Falls on November 23, 2013, 09:05:21 AMPeggy chimed in all matters sanitary, (whatever happened to her??) 

Dan, she retired, occasionally will pop up on co.com and crusiersforum.  I have captured her highlights in the "101 Topic" sticky.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

n624ma

Dan,
My tank was permeated!!

Prior to haul out it got pumped out, washed out with Dawn dish soap, filled with a strong (2 gal) bleach solution for a week, then pumped out. After I removed it from the locker it sat in the cockpit for the winter with an other gallon of bleach in it and all openings plugged with threaded plugs. As soon as it started to get warm in the spring the cockpit had "head odor"

With the new tank and rigid plumbing I have had zero odor all season.

Joseph Rheubeck