Mattress covers?

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_in_lex

New to C34's...just bought a MK II, 2005.  It has great mattresses in the bow and stern, but they're uncovered.  The PO had some custom sheets and that's great, but we prefer sturdy covers on the mattresses for kids, storage and sleeping bags.

Do you know of any places that have pre-fabricated covers that fit these mattresses?  I'm thinking of a sturdy cover, like the ones in the main cabin or sunbrella-like ones.  I can take the mattresses to an upholsterer, but any suggestions on a pre-fab (or different approach) would be appreciated.  Thanks.
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

Ron Hill

Steve : Any of the "boat mattress" companies will make you a mattress cover.

Look on the internet and check their prices.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

patrice

Hi,

If you still have the custom one that the PO made, why not just bring them to any seamstress.
Or someone that refurbish furniture, they usualy have good sewing machine.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Steve,
Are you saying that all you have is the foam with no cover at all? All Catalina's came with material covers on the matreses so the PO must have taken them off. I would try calling the Catalina factory at 818-884-7700 and give them the year, hull # and color of your other cushions to see if they are available. Otherwise, any good seemstress should be able to make them. Another good place to try would be an awning shop. Good luck.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

tommyt

I think that what Steve is referring to is that sometime in early 2000 Catalina changed to true mattresses forward and aft. Not covered cushions. So, he has a nice white/cream mattress that he wants to keep nice and white/cream.

On our boat we created covers using a sweatshirt material stitched to a mattress pad. Saves the mattresses from silly spills or sun screen, and easy to take off and wash if there is a problem.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

OK, now I understand, I was thinking of my own boat that had foam. Maybe Steve could just get a standard mattress cover and just tuck in the extra material underneath. some are made with a material that repels water. 

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Mike : That's "a lot of tuck".  

Better off to cut a king size regular mattress pad down to the Vberth and aft cabin size.

My thoughts!!
Ron, Apache #788

Steve_in_lex

All good comments and ideas...thanks a lot.  As tommyt said, she has what looks like regular bed mattresses (except different shapes, of course), so we're looking for something to protect them -- more durable than a sheet, but removable for cleaning.  I'll let you know what we end up doing.
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

Solstice

Steve,
We had the same concerns--wanted to keep those expensive mattresses protected. We ended up purchasing custom water proof mattress pads. They look and feel like typical mattress pads that you would use at home. They were expensive, but to me a worthwhile investment in protecting the very expensive mattresses they are protecting.
We used a company that makes custom marine mattresses. I see you are up in Maine and if you like I can provide you with a contact to see if they cover your area. If not, you may want to contact a local mattress vendor as measuring is important. In the winter we remove these and cover the mattresses with 'boat show' mattress covers (came with the boat).
Hope this helps...