masthead tri-color and anchor light LED recommendations

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

One of my upgrades for this winter is adding a masthead tri-color + anchor light.  I think that LED is the way to go.  I would like some recommendations and also know if anyone has had problems with the LED units.  The masthead is one of my least favorite workplaces to do repairs.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

waterdog

I have an Orca Green masthead tri with photodiode.   Easilly the brightest anchor light in a crowded anchorage. Consumes nothing.   No problems in 4 years.   Probably used for about 500 nights 95% on the hook and 5% running.   Would buy the same unit again. Worth the acquisition cost. 

Masthead tris are funny.  They are a no brainer when you want somebody to see you a mile out.   Up close they can cause some confusion.  The boat behind you expects a white light down by your stern rail.  I have had somebody come up close behind me so they could triumphantly tell me I am an idiot driving around with my anchor light on.  A right turn and a flash of green beats trying to explain. 
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ron Hill

Jim : I agree with Steve, that the tri color mast head light is best when seen from many yards away.

That's why most of the east coast ICW travelers even use a low mounted anchor light.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788