Sea sick

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

Have not tried this yet, but I read somewhere that when you get sea sick to put an ear plug in your non dominant ear.  (ie right handed, left ear) Supposed to cure it almost immediately.  Hope I never have to try it, but one more thing to try and no meds involved.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jim Hardesty

A pirate ear ring has more style.  Was rumored to have the same purpose.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Kevin Henderson

I spent 23 years in the Navy and most of that time on ships.  I've seen various remedies for sea sickness and fortunately, I have never had that malady :D
Crackers and fresh air cured most people.  I even knew of one guy that walked around with a trash bag attached to his belt.  Eating smoked oysters or pickled herring and smoking cigars while in an enclosed space in the bowels of the ship (preferably up forward in heavy seas)  killed off the rest..  :shock: :shock: :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Stephen Butler

Fortunately do not suffer from motion sickness, but have several friends that do.  They all use crystallized ginger to settle their stomachs and follow up with crackers.  Also helps to stay on deck where one can see the horizon.  Also kew a fellow that went to acupuncture...let ear if I remember correctly, and yes, this seemed to work for him.   Hope this is of help.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Mark Sutherland

I've tried the ear plug and I think it works.  Not sure tho cuz I was eating crackers too.  Didn't want to wait on the crackers till I started puking!
Dunrobin II, 1986 C34 MK1 #170

RobertSchuldenfrei

Hi Everyone,

As noted, almost everyone has their own idea about motion sickness.  When I invite someone new out on Esprit du Vent, part of the SOP includes using the head and what to do about sea sickness.  The older 34s have a great spot to retreat to if you feel the urge to heave; the aft seat on the low side.  After cleaning the cabin after someone went below, we make sure our guests are clear about what not to do. 

I have been sailing for 63 of my 70 years and I can still get sea sick.  Usually, this is when I am away from the helm.  This fact makes people who do get sea sick feel a tad better when they learn of the captain's plight.  I have never gotten sick while at the helm which adds some evidence to the people who say "watch the horizon."  Most of the time we sail without the dodger, so the wind on the face can help too.  I use my face as a non-electric API; have done it since I started to sail.  In fact Esprit du Vent is the first boat I have owned that has an API.

Finally, serve food and drink in moderation when the seas kick up.

Cheers,

Bob
Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422

patrice

HI,

One thing to do when having guess aboard, is to stay outside.
One major thing that give seasick or motion sickness, is that the brain goes crazy.
What make it tilt, is that the inner ear feel motion, your body is moving side to side, up and down.
But your vision tell other wise, the surounding moving at the same past as your body, feel more when inside the cabine, because the decor moving with you,
or when sitting in the cockpit and everybody are staring at each other because we all talk.
So best is looking out, far enough to see that we do are moving around.
Or giving them the helm seat and the wheel, they don't have choice to look around.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

scotty

Good ideas above.  Also:  Ginger ale.  Ginger cookies.  Take the helm.  Sit under an oak tree  :rolling
Scotty