Holding Tank Fittings

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

Going crazy getting the boat ready to head south.  Picked up the new macerator today, but forgot to measure the fitting coming out of the holding tank.  I know the hose barb is 1.5".  Anybody know off hand what size the threaded end is?

Weather permitting leaving the dock on Monday at sunrise.  Pump out and installation is my Sunday afternoon project.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Dave Spencer

Ken,
I measured my tank recently to replace the hose and fittings next spring.  I just checked the parts in my basement and the thread is 1.5" NPT which is what you would get with a standard 1.5" hose barb to pipe fitting. 

Good luck with your trip (and the messy job ahead replacing the lower holding tank fitting).

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

TonyP

Ken

I can't help you with the size but when you unscrew the fitting from the tank, make sure you have something to catch any drips. i.e. cut down plastic drink bottle and some old cloth to catch any drips ... our smell wasn't that bad when I replaced our macerator.
possibly put a lot of weight astern when pumping out and transfer it forward when you dismantle the pump fittings.
Just a thought ... good luck

cheers

Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

mregan

Someone had mentioned using diapers underneath the fitting to absorb any leaks.

n624ma

The disposable aluminum pans from the grocery store work very well. You can bend them to get them in place and they hold their shape to contain the spill, put a few paper towels flat in the bottom and then crumple a few more into balls and put them in to stop the splashing.
Joseph Rheubeck