Harness upgrade

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

Poking around a bit, I noticed the PO only completed 1/2 of the harness upgrade near the engine panel.  The plug in the engine compartment looks to be in a tight spot.   I assuming there wouldn't be any issues running new wires directly from the engine locations to the engine panel itself and bypassing the plug/new terminal strip locations.

Stu Jackson

mr, based on this (http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5078.msg44056.html#msg44056), it appears you've found yet a fourth way to do it:  new wiring from engine to cockpit panel bypassing the trailer plug at the engine end and going directly to the cockpit panel.

Whatever you feel will give you the most secure wiring is your choice.

I would, however, note that many of us have shown that the original wiring was not suspect, just the trailer connections.  While getting to the engine end trailer plug might be difficult, I don't know if you've worked through the aft cabin opening in your attempts.

Whatever works for you, your idea sounds fine.

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Clay Greene

That's what we did - we re-wired from the engine panel to the engine and did not have the intermediate termstrip.  No doubt it took longer that way but we were assured of good connections at both ends rather than relying on the 20+ year wiring and factory connections. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Ron Hill

mre : If you had read my Mainsheet tech note article on installing a new engine - I said hard wire all of the wires and get ride of the "wiring harness upgrade terminals" .

The trailer plugs were installed by Catalina as it was easier for the production line.  If you ever have to replace or remove your engine you'll be disconnecting the wires on the engine itself (not at the terminal) - believe me!!

Great info in those Mainsheet tech notes.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788