Removing handrails

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

I pulled the handrails last weekend to re-finish.  I was able to unbolt all the bolts from the inside except on three of them.  The bolts were spinning so I had to remove the bung and use a screwdriver.  When re-installing, should I put a small amount of epoxy on the bolts to keep them from spinning when tightening?  I was planning on installing new bungs on the ones I had to remove, apply the cetol.  Then when re-installing, I could tighten the nuts from below without having to get at the top of the bolts and install the bungs later.

lazybone

Go ahead and fill with epoxy but also  cut a screwdriver slot in the male end of the bolt.
With a dremil or hacksaw.

Edit:  I remove 95% of my teak every winter and do it at my leisure at home.
         It takes about an hour to remove and reinstall.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Jim Hardesty

One other "trick" is to double nut.  Need enough length to put on 2 more nuts with some space between the tight nut and the 2 nuts.  A good hardware store will have thin nuts.  Put one nut on leaving 2 threads showing at the bolt end, hand tighten the second nut, hold the second nut and tighten the first nut aginst the second nut.  Now a wrench can be used on the second (bottom) nut to hold the bolt when loosening the original nut.  It's a lot simpler to do than the story.   On my previous boat I used longer screws to hold the hand rails (so I could double nut) then used the extra threads for stainless steel loops to hang stuff.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

mre : Cut a slot in the end of the bolt - is the way to go. 
The screwdriver in the slot will hold the bolt steady as you tighten the nut.  Then use an acorn nut so it looks good. 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."