Modifying hatch board

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

I want to cut an opening where the vent slats are located in the hatch board and install a piece of plexiglass.  I was thinking of routering the opening so the plexiglass would sit flush.  Should I install the plexiglass on the inside of the hatch or the exterior?

Stu Jackson

I would suggest the outside.  It would be easier to clean, plus easier to waterproof/seal the joint.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

My boat came from the P O with a one piece plexiglass hatchboard and it was great! It provided lots of light into the cabin on rainey or chilly days and protection from the elements. I also had the original teak boards but never used them.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

mre : I made a set of Lexan (smoky) hatch boards to let the max light in while I'm on the boat.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff Tancock

Me too....a pair of clear lexan washboards, wood trim. Haven't used the boards that came with th boat in 15 years!
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Fuzzy

I built two hatch boards with lexan and two hatchboards with screens to use in place of the solid teak hatchboards but I keep
the original hatch boards on board in case of severe weather when there's a chace of the cockpit becoming flooded.
The window and screen hatch boards match the original boards so they can be mixed or matched.  The wood frame around
is not large so they are lighter than the original boards.
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

mregan

Do the full Lexan boards get scratched after a while?  Also, what thickness Lexan for the full boards.

Ken Juul

We have a one piece plexiglass insert.  1/8" I think.  Use the wood hatch boards for security when we are away from the boat, the clear allows light and keeps heat/cool in the boat.  Although with our new full enclosure, it's not getting much use now.  Stores easily under the aft mattress.  Added a couple of "Sail" decals so folks won't walk through it like they did on the original one.  First one lasted 6 or 7 years,  5 years on this one, few light scratches that don't bother us.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jeff Tancock

Yes they will scratch if you aren't careful. I wasn't all that careful and after about 12 years I made a second pair. Well worth it for the light and the clear view of the world when down below....
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Ron Hill

mre : I used 1/4" Lexan and who cares if they get scratched?  I put them in to hold out rain or cold and let the light in, but still have privacy.  I store them easily under a port side cushion and don't worry about scratches.

Beside the scratches help keep the gawkers from looking in!! (I'm docked stern in!)  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ron Hill on November 05, 2013, 02:54:00 PM
Beside the scratches help keep the gawkers from looking in!! (I'm docked stern in!)  A thought

Absolutely!  One never knows what Ron is doing down there.   :clap
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Fuzzy

mregan:
I have only had the lexan hatch boards on for one summer and no scratches yet.  I have about 5/16" wood on each side so
the lexan is somewhat protected.  Lexan is much stronger and more durable and less prone to breaking than plexiglass.
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475