Access holes under the sole?

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Henderson

I'm replacing my Fresh Water lines that run from the galley aft to the head.  (I think I have traced my loss of pressure in my fresh water line to one of those 2 hoses)  The hoses run underneath the sole right at the point where the ladder comes into the salon into the cabin, then beside the engine and around to the head.  I thought I had access to the area underneath the sole but discovered that there is a solid fiberglass (resin) deck underneath with only a few weep holes.  I know I can easily run replacement hoses but my question is in wondering if anyone has ever cut some type of access hole into the solid deck beneath the sole.  I would really like to be able to reach into that area and clean some gunk that's built up and it would seem that it would make things a bit easier when replacing hoses going through this particular hard to reach area.  I do not in any way want to risk compromising the integrity of the structure.  Thoughts?   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Stu Jackson

Kevin, not sure I understand.  I just did this replacement.  The existing hoses come through.  I pulled them out, then used two coat hangers joined together to pull the new ones through the same place.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Indian Falls

I cut a large hole near the head so I had access to the fitting for the shower drain.  But I don't see any reason for cutting holes for anything else. Other than that there is really no reason to not put a hole in sole deck if you need one.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Kevin Henderson

Thanks for the reply Stu,

I know it sounds like a vague question.  An I know I can easily replace the hoses using the method you described.
The issue is access to that small stretch of space between the galley and the engine underneath the sole.  It appears that the fiberglass in this area is very very rough and has sharp edges that I believe has contributed to the slight puncture in my existing FW hoses.  I would like to be able to access that area and inspect and/or address the sharp needles of fiberglass that may cause an issue with my FW lines or worse.. to my coolant lines.

I sliced up my hands pretty good yesterday reaching as far back as I could and discovered that someone had placed a small piece of plastic in this same area (probably to protect the hoses from damage).  If possible I would like to access the space directly and address the issue.
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

mregan

Rather than cut any holes in the floor, try to run a couple of 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" hoses under the floor.  Then you can run you new plumbing/engine hoses in the pipe sleeves.  That's what I did when I replaced my plumbing hoses.  Also put a 1" line in to run any wires under that space.  Much easier to put a wire snake in the pipe sleeve they try to run it under that floor space.

Ron Hill

Kevin : I change out the routing of the cold/hot water hoses to head sink 15 years ago.  I wanted to get them out of the engine compartment.  I suspected that the heat in there was causing the smell in those PVC water hoses.

I ran some aluminum clothes line from the head to the water heater and pulled 2 new hoses thru.  I also went to black garden hose. 

NO MORE SMELL!!!!!  Also wrote an article on how do that in the Mainsheet tech notes. 

A few thoughts.

Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

I hear you, Kevin, but my hoses lasted 26 years!   :D :D :D  mr's idea about using bigger hose is a good one, too.  Pull them through, then slide the bigger hose aft over them.  The two coat hangers heavily duct taped together were long enough to reach past that length under the engine and under the galley sole.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : What really protects the hoses under the flooring is 3/4" pipe insulation!!  You can slide it along the hose with ease. Pull the hose tight and it lifts the hose off the hull and just slide the pipe insulation ON.  That way the insulation doesn't hit the fiberglass snags!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

sundancer

I replaced hose that ran under the fiberglas flooring by drilling a hole in the end of the hose to be removed and tying a nylon string to the end of the hose when I pulled the hose out i removed the string from the old hose, attached it to the new hose and used the string to now pull the new hose back the other direction.  Worked great every time.
Good luck,
Sundancer
Roger Elliott - 1990 C34 Sundancer
Seal Beach, Ca