Canada geese droppings

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Holmes

This is not a Catalina question, however I thought that many of you might have some advice.  Our club has a growing problem with Canada geese using our docks as a toilet facility overnight.  Most mornings our docks and walkways are littered with the unpleasant remnants of a growing flock that nests in our cove.  With nobody around in the darkness, our docks are for some reason an attraction.  Does anyone have suggestions or experience that will help us repel the geese?
Joe Holmes
1988 Mk 1 Tall Rig, Hull 758
Rothesay NB Canada

Fuzzy

We have the same problem here also but with Mallard ducks, not geese.  A real
big nusience but don't know a solution.  The harbor master or helpers must wash
every morning with a hose.
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

Jim Hardesty

The only thing that has keep the birds, goose duck and seagull, off the docks for our club is lines set at waist height set on one side of the dock.  Quarter inch visible line seems to work as well as flags.  My bird-brain theory  :D is that the birds don't like to fly near them.  We set them up after the boats are out of the water and there is not much dock traffic, but it's not hard to step over the lines.  Saves us a lot of power washing.  And once the birds are discouraged they are slow to return.
Hope this helps.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Oh, no, not yet another bird sh*t thing.

www.BoatUS.com

Look up BIRDS.  They've been writing about for about 24.78 years.   :abd:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Indian Falls

One place I was at used cardboard coyote targets, just set it at the end of the dock.
I cant wait to try this.  I sure hope it works on the barn swallows too.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

waterdog

I was going to say call the Department of Homeland Security and have them get rid of these foreign terrorists, but based on your address they may have already repatriated them to your marina. 
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

patrice

Hi,

The line thing works great.
We do this at our family cottage.
We place a fishing line at about little over a foot height.  And I supposed they get scared because they hit something has they get close to landing but don't know what ???
So they go somewhere else...

:clap
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

lazybone

Had a pair of mallards build a nest in our power boat this year.
It was the biggest mess but I didn't have the heart to wreck it.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Jack Hutteball

Real simple guys.... everyone have goose instead of turkey for Thanksgiving :lol:
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Footloose

It is goose season here in Vermont!
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Joe Holmes

Thanks for all the advice. The BoatUS Site had lots of ideas for boats, some should be applicable to docks.  Our geese are polite enough to stay off the boats but they love the docks.  We are sorry for imposing these winged grease guns upon our neighbors to the south, for what it's worth.
Joe Holmes
1988 Mk 1 Tall Rig, Hull 758
Rothesay NB Canada