Maxwell 800 Windlass

Previous topic - Next topic

Kent & Jane Overbeck

We completed the "Great Loop" on October 14th after 13 months and around 6500 miles.  Along the way our Maxwell 800 windlass with capstan, became more and more difficult to use.  I had a very hard time getting the clutch nut tight enough to keep it from slipping.  I rebuilt it with parts suggested by Maxwell but that did not seem to help much.  By the end of the trip I had resorted to using a longer winch handle to get the needed leverage.  When I arrived home, I again contacted Maxwell.  They tried to help but could not come up with a cure.
I could not help but think that there had to be a simple solution as this is not rocket science.  Then, as I again looked at the exploded assembly diagram, the light bulb in my head lit up.  We had all been focusing on the clutch cone and lower chain wheel.  This was not the problem area!  The problem was that the Clutch nut was bottoming out on the threads on the shaft before the clutch was fully tightened.  I added a washer below the clutch nut and the problem was solved.  I have no Idea why the problem developed but I am very glad to have resolved it.
I hope this info will help others.

Kent
2004 MKII Carina

Footloose

Kent,

I know this is changing the thread, but I have to ask.  How was your adventure?  I am particularly interested in the section through the Chicago River and down the Mississippi.  I have heard that it can be challenging in a sail boat due to the draft.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Kent & Jane Overbeck

It was a great adventure!  However it was more challenging than I had expected, mostly due to the crazy weather we had this year. The river section, including the Ohio, was the most challenging of all.
Send me an email and I will be happy to give you more info.