Rivet mounted block in mast

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Henderson

Just when I opened my mouth and said I'll probably never use my spinnaker, the Admiral stepped in and said we should still give it a try.  (Am I lucky or what?   :D )
That being said, I started going through the motions to rig and fly the chute but noticed that the sliding car on the face of the mast was difficult to move.
Upon further inspection, I also noticed that a small block at the base of the mast whose bearings are, (were) plastic, had disentegrated and is hopelessly jammed and requiring replacement.  
Figuring it would be a quick fix, I find out that the block is attached to the mast with a rivet.  And to make matters worse, that rivet is almost at the seal of my mast boot. :shock:

My questions is:  what methods should I do to replace that block?  I'm thinking of drilling it out and then tapping it so I can replace the block with a stainless steel screw.

Thoughts and comments always welcome   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Stu Jackson

Levin, the easiest things to do:

1.  Drill out the rivets and tap in some screws.

2.  Buy a track mounted block.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."