Standing rigging replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

shanagolden

I have owned Shanagolden 1986 #212 for the past 6 years. No records of maintenance by the prior owners is available. At my haul out I had the mast pulled and figured I would have the standing rigging inspected. The rigger said everything looks like original 1986 vintage and all should be replaced. New wire, turnbuckles and swaging will cost $2975- derig an rerig -$375 - plus upgrade fuller head stay wire to the proper size and head stay pins- $1530. Does this sound in the ballpark for the job ?

Thanks in advance for thoughts and comments.

Steve McGill

Daryl,

I had mine replaced during the winter of 2011. I had removed my old RF and purchased a Hood 808 RF prior to this.
My total cost including the installation of my RF was about 4K total.

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

shan : I redid mine in 2008.  Pin to pin (everything new) with a new Hood 808 open furler system and the total was about $5K.

If that cost is too high for you, at least re do the head stay and a new furling system.  Then you can inspect the rest of the standing rigging annually.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

When I did mine, the factory, even with shipping, beat the cost of the local riggers.  I did it my self, paid the yard to pull/install the stick.  Can't find the yard bill, $1200 plus maybe $70 more for shipping from the factory in 2007.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Ken : And that was pin to pin???? for $1200 ???   You got an extremely UNUSUAL price!!

When I did mine I checked with the Catalina factory in Calif. and could not find anywhere near that kind of savings!!

Be very happy!!!!
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

MarkT

I replaced the standing rigging on my C27 some years ago. The folks at SECO South had the best price.

http://www.secosouth.com

Mark Tamblyn

shanagolden

Thanks for all the advice. Figure while I'm having the standing rigging done, I'll have the mast light wiring redone. I read somewhere that the original wiring was not per-tinned and subject to corrosion. Might be why my mast lights only work intermittently. Any ideas on the cost for retiring the mast lights ?

Thanks

mregan

If you are pulling the mast, you should be able to do the re-wire yourself pretty easily.  Crimp the new wire to the old wire at the bottom of the mast, pull the old wire out through the top until the new wire comes out and connect.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: shanagolden on October 25, 2013, 01:20:59 PM
Thanks for all the advice. Figure while I'm having the standing rigging done, I'll have the mast light wiring redone. I read somewhere that the original wiring was not per-tinned and subject to corrosion. Might be why my mast lights only work intermittently. Any ideas on the cost for retiring the mast lights ?

mr is right.  DIY.  You'll learn something.  Most likely it will be this:  The wires may be old and "could" need to be replaced, but my 26 year old wiring is just fine.  The issue I've found is the connections of the wires inside of the fixture.

Like this:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3533.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

shan : The cost is minimal - go on line and price marine grade tinned wire.

What I did was to inspect the factory wire when the mast was down and just solder the connections. Then I covered those joints with the hi grade Ancor heat shrink (which keeps moisture out).

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

patrice

Hi,

Just did the job last spring.
Very easy, measure the mast length and add a few feet to this.
I attached the new wire to the old one and pulled it.  Just that I prefered doing it by pulling at the bottom and had someone pushing the new one thru the small opening in the mast.
Reason is that I was afraid that once the wire get to the opening, it would not make it thru the small hole.
And at the same time, I bought a small connection bar, and have my connection easy to make, and located under the front  dinette seat.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~