Whisker Pole Question?

Previous topic - Next topic

gwp

After years of leaving my whisker pole in the garage......finally used it and wonder how I got along without it. Question is.....I can't use a topping lift on the pole because the halyard coming off the block (forward of the masthead) comes too close to the jib furler spindle and will get wound up when I try to furl the jib. It even does this under normal jib furling without the pole. Does this make any sense to anyone? Thanks much

Dave Spencer

GWP,
It sounds like you're using the spinnaker halyard as the topping lift for your whisker pole.  Your block is fitted to the crane at the masthead that protrudes ahead of the forestay and, if it is not kept tight and away from the the upper furling fitting, there is a high probability that it will foul the furling preventing furling or unfurling of the jib.  When I first rigged my spinnaker halyard, I secured my it to the pulpit when it wasn't being used but, although it looked cool, I found it would occasionally wrap at the head of the furling so I changed its location to the port side handrail on the cabintop.  This prevents the halyard from running parallel to the furling and as long as I keep it reasonably snug when it's not in use, there is virtually no chance that the halyard can wrap in the furling.
The picture shows the halyard when it was secured to the pulpit and you can see how it is almost parallel to the forestay.  If there's any sag in the halyard, it will foul on the upper furling.
I borrowed my friend's whisker pole a few weeks ago to keep the genoa full when running off the wind.  I didn't feel the need for a topping lift on the one day I used the pole.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Ted Pounds

I rigged my topping lift just below the steaming light.  Used 1/4" line and a small Harken block.   Worked very well and was out of the way when not in use.  :thumb:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

gwp

I'm with you dave. Maybe I dont even need a topping lift. If I decide I do.....teds idea sounds like the answer. I, like you keep the spin halyard attached to handrail, but on the stb sideand it has still fouled the furler on occasion (perhaps when too loose). So now I flip the halyard around the outboard side of the upper shroud to allow a greater distance from the furler spindle. This may not be a good idea but cant think of any problems it could cause??? Anyway....glad to learn that a topping lift is not a must. Thx

Ron Volk

GWP,
At the dock, I attach my SH forward on the bow pulpit on the starboard support so it's not hitting on the mast.  With this set up I found out when sailing I could furl the jib on a stbd. tack, but the SH would foul if trying to furl on a port tack. So when sailing, I bring the SH back and attach it at the base of the mast, this way I can furl from either tack.
I do have a topping lift on my whisker pole which goes through a block below the steaming light, but I keep my WP mounted on the forward portion of the mast and use the TL to pull the WP up to the chocks.  I have never needed a TL when using the WP, but at times I will use the lazy sheet run through a snatch block mounted forward on the deck to have a downhaul to keep the pole from bouncing around
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA