Postage to Australia

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyP

Guys
I have contacted Catalina Direct to purchase a replacement Head sink flexible hose. They are quoting either $64.30 for USPS or $159.73 for UPS for postage to Sydney Australia. I feel this is a tad costly. The hose is under $50.00.
Would one of you ever helpful people be able to get a quote for the postage and I could PayPal you the money after I have purchased the item and sent it to your local address.
Ours has a steady leak under pressure.
I have scoured plumbing suppliers here but our fittings are totally different.
Thanx in advance

Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

Stu Jackson

Tony,

Do you mean the metal covered hose under the head sink where you lift the spray nozzle for a shower?

If so, have you considered simply trying to replace the "wand" and/or the entire faucet to utilize what IS available in your neck of the woods?

Postage usually works on weight and size.  We'd need to know that.

I'd be glad to help you out if you want to send it to me and I'll get it to you after checking postage.  Let me know.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

TonyP

Thanx Stu
I could get a new complete unit, but I feel removing the existing could be a marathon event.
As I said your fittings are nothing like ours and by the time you add couplings the hose wont pull out.
I have bought heaps of stuff from "the states" including heavy items, but feel CD ae over covering the expense.
I am sure the total weight would be under a kilo/2 pounds.
Keep in touch with any info. The hose is out of stock for 3 weeks.

Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

mainesail

Quote from: TonyP on October 18, 2013, 06:24:43 PM
Guys
I have contacted Catalina Direct to purchase a replacement Head sink flexible hose. They are quoting either $64.30 for USPS or $159.73 for UPS for postage to Sydney Australia. I feel this is a tad costly. The hose is under $50.00.
Would one of you ever helpful people be able to get a quote for the postage and I could PayPal you the money after I have purchased the item and sent it to your local address.
Ours has a steady leak under pressure.
I have scoured plumbing suppliers here but our fittings are totally different.
Thanx in advance

Tony

I ship USPS down under all the time and $64.30 is a very standard rate for a medium flat rate box and the least expensive option I have that includes all forms, customs fees and brokerage fees. UPS & Fed Ex are both in the $100.00+ dollar range for me to.. They are not ripping you off USPS Flat Rate for the medium size box is $59.95 to all countries except Canada & Mexico. They are then likely adding shipping insurance which is a wise move when shipping international..

http://ircalc.usps.gov/MailServices.aspx?country=10013&m=13&p=0&o=1&mt=12&MailingDate=10/19/2013&MailingTime=8:00%20AM&dv=50.00
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

TonyP

Thanx Mainsail

This is the quote from CD.

One option is to ship via US Postal Service.  The shipping costs are only approximate and can vary by a few dollars, but are nearly always less than the other alternatives.  Unfortunately, if your package is lost or damaged, you will end up having to pay for a replacement shipment yourself if you are ordering special order or custom parts (anything requiring a deposit, made to order rigging, or cut line, for example).

USPS -  $64.30

A second alternative is to ship via UPS.  UPS is more expensive, but the quote is exact and the package can be tracked to its final destination. 

UPS - $159.73

I saw this  http://ircalc.usps.gov/MailServices.aspx?country=10013&m=13&p=0&o=1&mt=10&MailingDate=11/19/2013&MailingTime=8:00%20AM&dv=50   which allows for up to 4 lbs

Maybe it is a business export thing.
Clay Green sent me a spinnaker sock and I am sure it was nothing like that even as bulky as it was.

cheers
Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

Clay Greene

Tony, I do think the cost for shipping the sock to you via USPS was about $60.  I did not find the receipt but I found an e-mail I sent to you that says USPS estimated the cost as that much. 

I will say that you can often find a good deal on UPS shipping by going through a freight repurchaser.  I sold our old salon table to a fellow C34 owner in Washington and the estimate from UPS store was three times what I ended up paying through the repurchaser and it ended up going via UPS anyway.  But I don't know that would help here because the USPS cost is going to be a little more than a third of what you would pay via UPS. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

TonyP

Thanks for the response guys. I finally bit the bullet and just paid for the USPS freight.
I must say it was very quick ... only 5 days for delivery  :clap :thumb:

Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

Stu Jackson

Tony,

Glad to hear it worked for you.  Our hose died a few years ago and it's always nice to know about replacement sources.  Thanks for the resource.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Fuzzy

Tony:
It seems like sending something via USPS across the Pacific is just as fast or faster than sending across a few
states here in the US.
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475