Electrolysis Question

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Quote from: scotty on October 19, 2013, 10:49:19 PM
Is it better to leave you boat unplugged?  (the original question):  If you have ground issues, Yes.  Measure with the clamp meter.  If not, should you unplug?  I dunna know.  Dude, It's 10:30 PM.  I'm getting tired.  Perhaps someone else has that answer, or I'll look later.  You notice that I haven't talked about DC current loss.  

I believe the answer is YES.

With the advent of inexpensive solar panels (we've had our boat for 15 years, but solar on our boats for the past 25 years), it is simply unnecessary to leave your boat plugged in all the time.

The Question Is: What's the PURPOSE of leaving your boat plugged in?

1.  To keep the batteries charged.  OK, use solar.

2.  To keep the fridge running.  In all the years I've been here (15) only ONE skipper has ever reported a GOOD, safe reason to do so:  his boat was 500 feet from his office and he had lunch on his boat every day, which allowed him check that things were working.  Want a cold one when you come to the boat?  Bring some from home or stop at a 7-11 on the way to the boat.  Our fridge cools off in half an hour.  Ron Hill has noted any number of times that if the power goes out, so does your fridge and hot mayo in a closed fridge is really yucky! :D

Your boat, your choice, them's the options.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Fuzzy

Never swim around the marina.  Most marinas have a rule against swimming.  A couple years ago
a teenager was electrocuted in a city about 50 miles from here by swimming at the marina.
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

scotty

Larry,  I'm so sorry about that.  Do you know if this was a fresh or salt water marina?

Scotty
Scotty

Ron Hill

Scotty : Don't know of much salt water in Michigan.     
Ron, Apache #788

Fuzzy

Scotty:
Ron is correct.  Lake Michigan-Unsalted
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475