Engine cradle for M25XP Rebuild

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc G

After have lab tests performed on my M25XP oil and coolant I find that I have coolant in the oil at a severe level rating as well as high lead levels (babbitt?)
I am pulling the engine this fall and as my winter project will pull the head and look at the lower end as well. I need to fabricate a cradle/stand to hold the engine while I work on it. Has anyone purchased, have one, or know where to look for one.  Any dimensions for the engine mount locations would be helpful, as I can get some angle iron and have one welded.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Marc

Dave Spencer

Marc,
I don't have a cradle design but the Universal sales brochure for the M25XP has installation dimensions.  It should be easy to build a cradle with this information.  
http://shop.torresen.com/utility/includes/content/universal/sales_lit/M25XP.pdf

Good luck with your winter project!
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Stu Jackson

Marc, a friend of mine built a dolly for his M25 engine rebuild project.  Two fixed wheels, two turning, worked great in moving it around in his garage, hooking up to water and drain lines.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Marc : Look around and in the news paper for a used engine stand.  Also look at Harbor Freight.  Or make your own.

From the age of your engine I'd plan on a complete rebuild and replace ALL of the seals and gaskets.  No sense in a ring/valve job/head replacement and then come up with oil leaks.  You might also consider moving the oil pan drain to the rear of the oil pan and putting a plug in the present hole

Let me know as I've got a slightly used damper plate (100 hrs).

Good Luck, a bunch of thoughts.
Ron, Apache #788

Marc G

Thank you for the engine arrangement link and the suggestions. I am in process of designing a cradle and purchasing steel for it.
I am going to do a top end inspection 1st then lower then assess how to proceed with rebuild or replace.

Ill keep it touch with my winter project...

mainesail

Quote from: mgreenleafsr on October 04, 2013, 05:01:23 AM
Thank you for the engine arrangement link and the suggestions. I am in process of designing a cradle and purchasing steel for it.
I am going to do a top end inspection 1st then lower then assess how to proceed with rebuild or replace.

Ill keep it touch with my winter project...

I just use a Harbor Fright 1000 pound engine stand. I think it was $59.00..... I simply can't buy the steel for that price.... They also have a 750 pound stand for about $48.00....
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Andrew Harvey

Marc,
If you need any spare parts, let me know.
My old M25 is sitting on my shop floor taking up space
Andrew
Andrew Harvey

scotty

You might also consider installing a tube from the drain hole for oil changes.  They make it so much easier.  I wonder if there are disadvantages to that?
Scotty

Marc G

Andrew,

I'll keep you in mind should I start needing parts.  Thanks
you.

Scotty,
My oil pan is equipped with a flex hose from the drain point, but its pretty useless.  Too low to put a pan under, to far forward to drain all the oil from the sloped pan.  I use a pump thru the dipstick and that still leaves almost a Qt of oil in  the pan.  What need is a drain at the rer end and a pump out connection.

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Guys,
As Ron Hill has suggested a few times, it would be best to have a drain plug installed on the rear of the oil pan with a hose attached especially if you are going to have the engine out to work on it.
Or......you could use my idea of having a party and have everyone stand on the bow to get the propper tilt on the oil pan for that last quart of oil.

Where there's a will, there's a way,     :party

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Andrew Harvey

I used one those oil extractor pumps attached directly to the oil pan drain hose.
You just need to get the fittings to connect the 1/4 PVC hose the rubber hose
Andrew Harvey