V-Berth drawer converted to cabinet shelf

Previous topic - Next topic

Roc

Hello everyone,
I've never used the center drawer in the v-berth because we keep the cushion insert in the up position.  With that insert above the drawer, you can't get to the contents, because the insert blocks the opened drawer.  What I did was convert the drawer to a stationary cabinet shelf with a door.  I took the facing of the drawer and added two hinges at the bottom.  That now has become the door.  I created the enclosed cabinetry by creating a box using the sides and back of the drawer (sides cut down to length) and plywood top and bottom.  This box is attached to the lip on the frame around the drawer that screws into the fiberglass.  I didn't go too deep with the cabinet, since I didn't want to impede access to the depth and speed transducers right below.  This was a relatively simple transformation and makes usable storage space which was previously not accessible.  I painted the inside with off-white interior trim gloss paint that matches the interior fiberglass pretty well.  The finished product looks like it was OEM!
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ron Hill

Roc : Nice job.

It's too bad the MKII drawer isn't like the MKI drawer that can be pulled completely out while the Vberth insert is still in the horizontal position.  
It also appears that the MKI drawer is much larger.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Roc

Thanks Ron....  The drawer can be pulled out with the cushion insert in place in the up position, and down position.  In the up position, the opening in the drawer is obstructed (the cushion is right on top).  So whatever is in the drawer, you can't get at it.  You have to take the cushion out, put it in the lower position, in order to get access to the opened drawer.  If someone is still sleeping, that would be impossible!  :shock:

Stu Jackson

Roc, I keep TOOLS in that drawer.  No one is sleeping when I work, not that I do a lot of that either.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

DarthOccam

Very nice job.  It does look like Catalina did it.  We have a MKII boat and have been looking for a way to make better use of that space.  Like you, we keep the mattress wedge in place all the time.  I also like Stu's idea of keeping tools in that drawer.  I still haven't found a good place for the tools and parts, since they're heavy and I'm using them every day.

Michael
Michael DeCamp
Serenity, #1703
Channel Islands Harbor, CA

Roc

We have a foam pad over the v-berth cushions, and the bed is always "made" with sheets and such....  So moving the center insert down to the lower level in order to open the drawer to get something is a pain.  That's why I made the fixed shelf cabinet.  The other advantage is accessing the thru-hulls right below without the frame work of the drawer in the way.  Also, it's nice to have extra storage for clothes.  I already have my tools in the aft cabin, so I didn't need anymore "man" space.  8)

patrice

HI,

Yes very nicely done.
As you, we have a memory foam on top of the materess.  And I did not cut the foam in the middle and insert, more confortable without cutout that you endup in.
So we don't use the drawer.  But like your idea.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Jack Hutteball

I did a similar thing by putting hinges on the drawer front, but I installed a framework behind the door that holds 2 large deep plastic bins.  We keep towels there and can also be used for clothing.  Easily accessed with the cushion in place above and still allows access to the thru hull equipment.  With the full size memory foam on top, we never lower the cushion.

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Kevin Henderson

I had thought the little shelf with a door was original.  I didn't know that the MK-I's originally had a drawer.  I love the little shelf/door and I'm again thankful to a very conscientious and caring PO.   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Steve Sayian

A  couple years ago I added a shelf aft of the forward water tank and on both sides of the vee berth.  I then removed the useless drawer and enlarged the opening to 29x13 and added another opening on the starboard side of 13x11 inches.  The shelf is above the knot and depth sounder transducers and also has a cutout that can be removed.  I had double and single doors and frames made to access the opening.  It opened up a whole new area of storage that's above the bilge in the bow.  Attached are pics of before and after as well as the diagram for the doors and frame.

Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Steve Sayian

Forgot to say that both spaces can be easily accessed with the filler cusion in place.  We never remove the filler cusion.
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Jim Hardesty

Lots of great ideas.  Thanks for sharing.  :D A couple of years ago I installed an AC unit under the vberth and  temporarily put a cheep grill over the drawer cut-out.  Wasn't enough room for the original drawer, and I do need the air return.  Seeing what can be done, I'm going to finish/change mine as a this winter project.   
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

ken003

I approached the useless drawer the same as Steve.  I completely partitioned off three compartments which are easily accessible and hold a lot of gear.  I made the new larger door frame much heavier than the original to help lend strength to the large cutout and the piano hinge came from the again useless cabinet above the engine in the aft berth .  The second photo is what I did with the drawer and its frame. It has also been very handy. 

Ken

Roc

Ken,
Your model year is a 2005.  It's interesting that I see some differences between your boat and mine (model 2000).  In your picture, I see four screw heads, two on each side of the small access door for the thru-hulls.  What are they for?  Notice on my picture (and Steve's 1999), they are not there.  The other difference I see is the ledge that holds up the center insert when in the lower position.  In my picture, there are two notches in the corners.  The ledge on your boat is completely straight.  It's interesting to find these minor structural modifications.........

ken003

Roc,

The four screws are for cleats holding the floor of that compartment.  I wanted it as deep as I could make it.  The picture shows it cutting across the door opening.  I put in an access to the thru hulls after the pic was taken, but I have never used it (always too much stuff piled in there).  There is plenty of room to work on them as it is.  I have to clean the knotmeter regularly and it is no problem.

I wonder what the reason for those notches was?