Tracks on Toe Rails

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Sedgwick

Has anyone added tracks on the toe rails to a C34? Is there sufficient access to the bolts from the inside? For those with tracks and using a poled out spinnaker, should the tracks start closer to the bow than factory installed tracks to permit a snatch block on the guy forward of the upper shroud while reaching?

George
SchatzSea #1031 (1990)
George W (Bill) & Jo Ann Sedgwick
SchatzSea #1031

dave davis-707-1988- san

Bill, I run a poled out spinnaker. I couldn't get the CY to run the track farward where it is needed.So I had to do it myself. I drilled and tapped all the holes for a 8 foot track. Yes it was a lot of work but do-able. There was only one catch at the scuppers that required a screw rather then a bolt. Use large size back-up washers. You may have to bend a open head wrench to get a better angle on the nuts.
I wanted the track forward so that I could run my jib sheet forward and outside when running and reaching. That is the the way to get the top of the sail working. I also use the forward track for the spinnaker afterguy. I have a fixed pad-eye block as far back as possable to run the spinnaker sheet.

Hope this info helps. Dave

Bill Sedgwick

Dave, thanks for the quick reply. We're getting a lot of rain this week, but I plan to add outside tracks as soon as it dries up. I don't know why Catalina puts the track as far back as they do, but fortunately (or unfortunately) I have no outside tracks now. Do you find you need the entire 8 ft track length. If not, where would you suggest putting a shorter track?
Thanks,
Bill
SchatzSea #1031

dave davis-707-1988- san

Bill, I'll do some measuring this Sat after our race at the Golden Gate YC. You might get away with a shorter track.

dave davis-707-1988- san

Bill, I hope this gets thru to the message board. It has a different look.
Anyway, lets get back to the location of the out side track.
I put in a 8 foot track because it comes in that length and I thought I needed it. But after looking at it again, you could probably get away with just a 6 foot track. Alot depends on the type of sailing you plan to do and the height of your clew off the deck. I have a very low cut 130% which leads to the most forward position on the normal inside. When reachig off, I need the ouside track forward. Therefore my outside track starts at the midpoint between the lower aft shroud and the upper shroud. It runs all the way to the gate stanchion. The only time I change the lead to this aft position would be when using the 155% which is not very common out here. You might get away with a 6 foot track if you have furling type sails that have much higher clews. If so, you could start your 6 ft track at about 10 inchs forward of the fresh water tank fill cap.
There are other uses for this track such as mid-point docking and I find it usefull for attaching spring lines.
Hope this helps...Dave

David Sanner

Dave,

I though the track would be through bolted but it doesn't seem that you can
get to the toe rail from inside/below.  (I have a MkI)

You said, "I drilled and tapped all the holes for a 8 foot track."

What did you tap into... it their metal inside the toe rail.

In short... how did you do it  & would you still go with 8' or would 6' track do it?
Or has anyone else added a T-track to the toe rail of a MkI ?

Thanks...

David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

Mike Smith

Great idea, Dave -

A picture or two would be worth a thousand words!

Mike

Bill Sedgwick

I was surprised to see activity on this old thread I started. I think it's clear that Dave thru bolted the track except for a couple of locations where he could not reach the backside. I also have a Mk I, 1990, and I convinced myself I didn't want to risk having many places where I could not reach and would have to screw into the glass. I have made work a couple of carefully placed padeyes on the deck and use both a cruising and a poled spinnaker. But, I still want a track! Since I first asked the question, I've heard from two people who have added tracks. I think access to each boat may be a little different and some people are just determined to do the impossible. Good luck.
Bill
SchatzSea #1031

David Sanner

I'm with you George, it would be nice to have a track but I'm thinking a couple
padeyes are probably good enough.   Less holes in the boat and a lot less work.
(Two 8' tracks = 50 holes)

I took a look below and I guess the toe rail must be sort of a closed box as
there is no raised area below.  The underside of the deck is more or less flat
all the way to the hull... but it's hard to tell.

George, where did you put your padeyes?  About 8"  aft of the stanchion by the water fill?
Maybe that's the questions now... when flying a spinnaker where do people
put the car for the guy?  (Or if you had to pick one spot...)

David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

rirvine

David:

The guy normally goes at the widest point of the boat.

Ray

togve

Hi Bill

I'm thinking of adding a t-track as well. Where did you buy your track?

Cheers:  Tony