Where can I get replacements for the MkI black cabinet sliders?

Previous topic - Next topic

kwaltersmi

Both sides of the black plastic/lexan sliders that cover the salon cabinets have cracks.  Anyone know where I can get replacements?  I checked Catalina Direct and didn't see them listed.
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

Clay Greene

I think you are going to have to go to a local plastics shop to get them replaced.  But can I suggest that you consider replacing them with teak plywood?  It makes a huge improvement in the look of the boat.  We went with 1/4 inch plywood from Yukon Lumber and had them cut 1/8th inch dadoes in the top and bottom to fit in the grooves.  We re-used the handles from the black plastic doors.  After a couple of seasons, you couldn't tell the difference between the original teak trim and the doors.  We eventually replaced the white doors in the galley and over the chart table with teak plywood as well. 

1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Ron Hill

kwalt : Clay is correct with his suggestions. 
If you get replacements you can crack them just like you did the originals!!

Here's another thought --  Glue the cracks and cover them with a thin Teak or ash battening (like is on inside hull) or teak vainered plywood.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

lazybone

The cracks develope around the handles from enthusiastic closing.  There is enough overlap in the panels so that you can cut the broken part of the panel off and remount the handles.

Does that make sense?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Stu Jackson

If you are a C34IA member, you can access the Tech Notes Online, and there are a few very good writeups about replacement.

The one I particularly like is where the skipper replaced the black with a wood trim finish.

Might have been Ron Hill, but I've also seen another one (not written up) that looks just fabulous.

Really "opens up" the saloon.

You also might need to raise the center section of the supports to get the old ones out.  This is a very basic issue that's been mentioned any number of times.  You either break the old ones gettin' them out, or you measure carefully.

Let us know how your searching goes, and we can help some more and be more specific.

Here's an example:

http://www.c34.org/mainsheet/pdf/11-99_Technotes.pdf

I got there through the Knowledgebase, described in the "Too Much Stuff" topic.  I searched, with CTRL - F on the spreadsheet with "black" as the search word.

IIRC, there are a few more Tech Notes on this very subject.

The "downside" of using a "handle" that is not your real name is that it makes it harder for me to see if you are, indeed, a C34IA member.  Identity theft is not so much an issue around here.  So far... :cry4` :D :D  your hull # would also be a great help.  Please update your "signature."  I tried searching the database with "Bearly..." - didn't work either.

Please help us to help you.

You can send me a pm and I'll check.

Hope you're liking your new boat.

PS - don't know where you live, but TAP Plastics is a good source if you want to replace in kind.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Fuzzy

I glued 2 pieces of plastic laminate (like Formica) back to back to replace the old broken black sliders.  I used
solid white but any color/pattern would work.  They've worked out quite well and have been in for 3 or 4 years
and no cracks, they're much tuffer than the original and brigten up the interior a lot also.
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

Ron Hill

Guys : There is another simple solution!!  Get some new sliders and forget the handles, just cut a 1 inch hole for your finger and the sliders will last forever!!

It was hard to believe, but when I covered my sliders with the ash battening with that lighter tone it made all the difference in opening up the salon area - not so dark!!

My thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

patrice

HI,
Had the same issue of a broken plastic door.
I just redrill new hole for the handle on the other end, and put in the back.  Since they overlap more than teh broken section, you can't tell.

And we also were tired of that black look, that made the inside look dark.  We went to the extreme of painting them a brite color.
Lighten the inside a lot, all the sliding doors are repainted..

1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

kwaltersmi

Great advice everyone, thanks! Turns out our 18 month old gave the handle a good yank and cracked it.  I like the idea of replacing them altogether with teak plywood.  Looks like I've got another winter project to keep me busy.
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

KINGAIR350

Try a suction cup instead of a hole for the knob that will crack the plexiglass (over time and guests), and if for some reason it slides back too fast at least the stem of the suction cup will act as a bumper JAT.
Regards

Lance Jones

Here is my solution.
I simply ordered 1/4" teak plywood, cut to size and then fit. I purchased the handles from Home Depot as the look resembles a cleat.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Clay Greene

We did much the same.  See the attached. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin