V Berth Leak

Previous topic - Next topic

crimmins

I own a 2003 Catalina 34. Recently I found bad rain leaks in the forward section of the V berth. They appear to be coming from the lower part of the windlass or in that general area. I covered the windlass with plastic to see if the rain was getting into the V berth through the windlass. This did not resolve the problem. I also checked all deck screws and found them tight/secure.

Any suggestions as to where the water is getting into the V berth?

Tim Crimmins

Clay Greene

There are a number of possibilities in that water can migrate over long distances.  You could do a hose test area by area to see if you can replicate the leak.  The problem there is that the leak may take a long time to develop.  If that does not help identify the problem and you are satisfied it is not the windlass, I would rebed the bow pulpit and the forward stanchions with butyl tape and see if that solves the problem. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Jim Hardesty

Tim,
Try the windless switches (the water may follow the wires), the cleat, any where in the area and above where you see the leak.  I may be mistaken but I think that if the pulpit was leaking it would leak into the anchor locker.  The hose test is a good idea, start low and slowly work your way up.  It's best a 2 person job one with the hose one looking.  And, just because a stanchion is tight doesn't guarantee that it isn't leaking.
Just some thoughts.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Paulus

I had the same problem a few years  back.  On a very rainy day I crawled into the storage space in the v berth.  Water was dripping off two of the bolts on the support for the forestay and 2 of the bow pulpit.  I took them all out and used butyl tape on under all the hardware.  No problems.  It is a two man job.  
Cool Change 1989 #944

KINGAIR350

Tim,
Had the same problem,did what Paulus did and solved the problem.
Good Luck

Roc

Where exactly are you seeing water.  Overhead or inside in the bilge area under the bed?
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Momentum M

Tim I had a similar problem a few years ago and posted this back then:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4467.0.html

Also I did find that the fresh water overflow ( in our ancor pit) was also dripping.  By putting this "shower curtain"...any water fore of it would go directly to the bilge.
Hope it helps

Serge
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May