Fuel issue

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

Ron, I did, initially replace just the primary and bled. When that didn't work, I then pulled secondary and it too was gunked.

Thanks to all for all the input!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : I'm afraid that you were hit with the "Ron" syndrome - multiple problems at the same time!!  That always seems to happen to me, which takes a lot more time to figure out.

It sounded like you had a big time fuel problem and the glow plugs also were pooping out.  The healthy dose of water in the fuel line didn't help maters either.

Anyway you stuck with it and solved the problems and the engine is now running.   :thumb: 
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Even more to update. During the engine problem issue I was asking Stu what my 1-2-B should be set up for the optimal configuration..... He asked how mine was set up?  That started me thinking. I really didn't KNOW. I THOUGHT I knew; but, I didn't know for certain. So today, I decided to find out.

What I found scared the scatatoria out of me! All the red wires were connected to red terminals and black were connected to black. Good so far. I next started tracing the wiring set up. That's when I got sceeeered. I eventually pulled over 60 feet of unneeded wire from my system! I had everything from #4 to #18 wire. Some led of to no where. Others headed off and then returned to be connected back on to the same terminal. No wonder the starter turned over more slowly than other 34s in Fleet 13.

Once all the crap was removed, I basically started over in the battery compartment. When I finished, I had the set up in the battery compartment set up correctly. My on/off Perko even works now. I figured I'd try starting it cold. Held Glow plug button in for a 20 count. I can't really say it turned over. One second it wasn't running and the next second, she was purring like a kitten!!!!

Next step tomorrow is to start work in the hanging locker. That's where the charger is set up. I want to make sure the entire system is in order!

Thanks again for all of your help. :thumb:

I approve this message.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Jeff Tancock

Wow....great job! I'm very impressed.
Maybe you want to come by and do the same on my boat. I'm scared of getting into that rat's nest and making things worse.
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Ron Hill

Guys : Maybe "Cat" boats are more prone to problems than other C34s?!?   :devil
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Here is the result of 2 days of rewiring:
Each of the battery cables was roughly 2-4 feet long. Now they are 10 inches from battery to battery. The cable from the on off switch was 3 feet long. Now it is 1 foot long. Batteries are arranged, as before in parallel. However, now the (-) side runs to a (-) bus bar and the (+) run to a (+) bus bar. Solar regulators for each battery are also mounted inside the battery box. Each battery has a 40 watt panel attached to it. My question is if it would be better to run to the bus bar instead of each individual battery?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Lance Jones

I want to thank everyone for your help, patience and insight! Not only does she start, she starts better than I have ever had her start. While you kept me from making many mistakes, in several instances, you "forced" me to research what I was trying to do or what I was saying.

Here are the things that I did while trying to get her started and then after starting.
1) Glow plug upgrade
2) Shortened battery cable length and increased their gauge to 0/1
3) Installed dedicated starter battery
4) Oil breather to air intake
5) Found that the PO did NOT install harness upgrade as said. :x
6) Several MINOR electrical problems (Ghosts) disappeared
7) Finally, found Jimmy Hoffa!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622