Ice Box

Previous topic - Next topic

Juan

Hi guys,

my ice box stopped working last weekend. I have no idea if the problem is the thermostat, the compressor, or what. I don't even know where the compressor is located...(not easy to find). Any guidance on how to address this issue before having to call a technician would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Juan

Ron Hill

Juan : Call the repairman !!
Ron, Apache #788

2ndwish

Have you checked the fuse? Are you handy with a multimeter?

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Most likely, the compresor is located under the helm seat on the starboard side, thats where mine was.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

tommyt

I woudl agree with Ron. Based on your question, if it is not a fuse, you are not going to fix it. Call the expert.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

chuck53

My compressor is located in the aft lazarette.  Agree with calling a refrigeration guy.

prh77

My compr. is located under the galley sink, next to the hot water heater. Haven't seen any in this location. Stopped working twice, first time it was the switch on the DC panel, swapped the wire to the next unused switch down. Last summer it quit again and it turned out to be a corroded fuse on the unit and loose/corroded wiring at the unit. There is quite a bit of info on this site and others on the AB Cold Machine. I agree a Tech is required for any Freon work, but you can save some $ if you do a little prelim work.
Peyton Harrison Hull # 597 1988 "Trinity"

Ron Hill

Juan : If you fridge is factory installed, the compressor is low in the hull on the starboard side in the aft lazerette.  There is a "stab in " fuse that you can see from the top. 

Good luck - I'd still call the repairman!
Ron, Apache #788

Roc

Juan,
I see you are in Maryland....  Don't know if you are near Baltimore, but I used an excellent A/C-Refrigeration guy that works out of Baltimore.  Sherrod Marine (his name is Woody).  410-752-2870.  Very good and honest.  I highly recommend him.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Juan

Guys, thanks a lot for the responses.

It was the fuse in the electrical panel as well as the "fuel holder" that fell apart in my hands. Something similar I found on this thread: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6525.0.html

I changed them both.

Best,

Juan