macerator...

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob K

I recently replaced my macerator, and before I disconnected any hoses, I did the following: pumped out and flushed 3 times, then used the intermittently working macerator to pump out a bit more, and then to get the last I used one of those $5 Harbor Freight orange hand pumps.   Ziptied the pump input hose along side a small diameter metal rod to make it rigid, fed the hose/rod through the vent connection and positioned it at the bottom of the tank.  I was able to pump out almost a gallon more. When I finally disconnected the macerator hoses I only got drips from the tank.   

By the way, the reason I had to repair was not for the intermittent macerator - It is used maybe once a year after tank flush.  The real problem was a slow leak developed between the threaded connection at the macerator input and the 1 1/2" nylon elbow.  When I removed the assembly the connection was very loose.  It was nowhere near that loose when originally installed about 5 years ago.  I believe the nylon elbow worked its way loose with help from repeated heating from my battery charger mounted in same compartment next to holding tank – about 12" away from the macerator.  I never realized how hot it gets in that unvented compartment when the charger is full on.   So I am now looking for a new place to mount my charger!  I also used teflon grease instead of teflon tape this time around, as that may help keep things sealed better over time than the tape.
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Guys : As Bob found out, never install a battery charger in an area that does not have adequate free flowing ventilation. Heating of the charger gives poor performance and decreases its life!!

Another thing that I have learned is to use heavy duty Teflon tape.  It does much better than the normal thin Teflon tape.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

chuck53

OK, mine went bad on me last week (leaking), so I ordered a Shurflo to replace it.   Started to disconnect my old pump and now I'm having second thoughts.  Since it is illegal to use it except offshore, which I will never do (go offshore that is), I'm thinking of capping off that discharge hole in the tank and not having a macerator at all.
Any thoughts on this?  
What's the best way to cap it off?

Footloose

I used a plumbing plug with Teflon tape from ACE hardware.  I believe it is 1 1/2 in.  Be sure to pump out first and be prepared for a mess.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

chuck53

Quote from: Footloose on August 24, 2013, 04:23:35 AM
I used a plumbing plug with Teflon tape from ACE hardware.  I believe it is 1 1/2 in.  Be sure to pump out first and be prepared for a mess.

I've already taken off the pump and just the hose is sticking out of the tank. The tank is pretty clean and what little did run out of the hose wasn't bad at all, so I'm sure I won't have a mess when I pull off the hose to plug the tank.  There's an Ace hardware just a couple miles away that most of us here at the marina pay homage to at least once a weekend.
Should I just plug the hose or remove the hose and plug the tank?  Plugging the hose looks like it will be way easier as it seems like it will be a bear to get the hose off.

chuck53

Problem solved.  The piece of PVC that screwed into the elbow at one end and fit into the hose at the other end...I just got a cap that fit on the elbow end and capped off the hose.  very little water drained into the bilge during the process and what did drain was 90% clear fresh water and the other 10% was river water and urine so very little smell that a quick rinse of the bilge will take care of.